MASH Actor David Ogden Stiers Has Passed

Another beloved actor from what in my mind, is the best Comedy/Drama in television history, has passed. Growing up, I eagerly watched every live episode and rerun and even went so far as to record many of my favorites, on cassette, and listen to them at night in bed. Yes, I was that into the show.

Name:  David Stiers.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  25.6 KB

After Larry Linville who played Frank Burns left the show many wondered if this was the end an integral part of the show. Little did we know how a relatively unknown actor, David Ogden Stiers would add to the show's dynamic.

Stiers' portrayal of Charles Emerson Winchester III was brilliant and was the role that really got him noticed. Although Charles was a snobby, straight-laced character who I loved to see receive the brunt of his tentmate's jokes, Stiers had the ability to give the character just the right amount of humility and warmth needed to ground him.

According to a Cinema Blend story, MASH led Stiers to more than 150 television appearances including the Perry Mason TV Movies and the North & South miniseries.

In the world of Disney, Stiers was known as the voice of Cogsworth in the animated Beauty and the Beast, Jumba in Lilo & Stich, and Governor Ratcliffe and Wiggins in Pocahontas. Outside of the house of mouse Stiers also provided voice acting for beloved animated shows such as Regular Show, Justice League Unlimited, and The Wild Thornberrys just to name a few.

David Ogden Stiers remained active in Hollywood as recently as 2017 when he appeared in the comedy film Neil Stryker and the Tyrant of Time and a TV Movie that starred Mischa Barton called The Joneses Unplugged. Those serve as the end of a career that started off on a high note as Stiers voiced the announcer in George Lucas' cult classic THX 1138.
    He also had a second career as the conductor of the Newport, Oregon orchestra and was a big supporter of the area's music and theater scene. Stiers passed earlier in Newport, Oregon, from cancer. He was 75.

RIP to a talented actor. He was great in MASH.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

"I do one thing, I do it very well, and then I move on." Charles Emerson Winchester III