The Dark Crystal (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  dark.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  31.0 KB

Plot
    In another time, The Dark Crystal was the Balance and Truth in the Universe, but was destroyed dividing the world into two factions: the wicked Skeksis and the peaceful Mystics. Now as the convergence of the three suns approaches the Crystal must be healed or darkness will reign forever. It is up to Jen, the last of his race, to carry out the prophecy that a Gelfing will return the missing chard of crystal and destroy the Skeksis’ evil Empire. But will Jen be up to the challenge of battling the unknown?

Directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz with producer Gary Kurtz (Stars Wars, The Empire Strikes Back), The Dark Crystal is a fantasy masterpiece weaving a timeless myth of Good and Evil.

My Thoughts
    I saw this theatrically in 1982 and it’s hard to believe that 36 years have gone by since Jim Henson and Frank Oz brought this to the silver screen. I somewhat dreaded having to watch this more from the fact that I didn’t want to ruin some youthful memories of the film since most movies that I loved as a kid don’t seem to hold up too well when I watch as a middle-aged man, but happily, this one does. Yes, the special effects are dated and it doesn’t have the spit and polish of a modern theatrical digital presentation, but its charm holds up after all of these years.

Video 8/10 (MVC)

Audio 8/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• ALL-NEW: The Myth, Magic and Henson Legacy: Go behind the scenes of this iconic film with stories from Lisa Henson and Toby Froud.
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Commentary with Brian Froud
    • Picture-in-Picture Storyboard Track
    • Original Skeksis Language Scenes with Introduction by Screenwriter David Odell
    • The World of The Dark Crystal Documentary
    • Reflections of The Dark Crystal: “Light on the Path of Creation” & “Shard of Illusion”
    • Photo Galleries
    • Theatrical Teaser & Trailer
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    This is a good fantasy adventure film that I’m sure kids of today will enjoy, although they may wonder why the characters aren’t digital creations! The remastered 4K presentation takes the beloved classic and gives it justice and the Dolby Atmos track does its best with the source material. Recommended for fans.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I never saw this movie when it originally came out. Will check it out on Amazon prime/netflix when available.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Test post.
    David Vaughn

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. This was a favorite of mine from back in the day as well. I agree regarding it holding up well enough to entertain its target audience. I also agree with your assessment of its A/V quality.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph P. View Post
    Greetings,

Thanks Dave. This was a favorite of mine from back in the day as well. I agree regarding it holding up well enough to entertain its target audience. I also agree with your assessment of its A/V quality.

Great minds think alike
    David Vaughn