The Outer Limits (Season One) on Blu Ray

The Outer Limits (Season One) on Blu Ray

There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the next hour sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: there is nothing wrong with your television set. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

I haven’t seen the Outer Limits in over fifty years, so I thought I get a kick out of seeing bad special effects and good science fiction. I was wrong. So far it’s not good science fiction. The black and white images vary in quality from episode to episode, the first one being terrific, the later ones are nothing less than very good. And the sound is perfectly reproduced.

As I remember, I was originally disappointed in the show because it was NOT the Twilight Zone. The Twilight Zone remains one of the most imitative and well written shows ever on TV. And everyone is still haunted by certain episodes, especially Burgess Meredith breaking his glasses.

I have not seen all 34 episodes, and will report back in a month or so when I have. But, so far here is my take:

1. It’s hard to believe, but everything seems to have a cold war tinge to it, especially the first three episodes. The second episode is even less sci-fi and more of the Manchurian Candidate, as someone impersonates the President (The Hundred Days of the Dragon) for a political advantage in Asia.
    2. Too much moralizing in the Twilight Zone copied narration.
    3. The slow pacing is killing me. For example, if someone get out of the car, they will show them walking to the door for thirty seconds.
    4. As a kid, I used to call some plot points “stupid.” As an adult I would say, “not thought out.” But it’s stupid. Bad things happen for stupid reasons and can be prevented. But they look to constantly show that mankind is flawed. And then they moralize at the end.
    5. Lots of nice guest stars, Martin Landau, Martin Sheen, Bruce Dern, Cliff Robertson, Carroll O'Connor and William Shatner.

Really, this is not quite the fun I thought it would be.

We now return control of your television set to you.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I remember watching a few episodes, but it was no Twilight Zone.

Looking forward to your thoughts once you watch more of the first season. I may check out YouTube; I bet there are a few posted there.

I love OL & have the complete dvd box. I plan to pick this up when there's a complete box & a huge price drop (like there eventually was with TZ on blu). I am curious how much of an upgrade this is compared to the most recent dvd box?
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

3MOOS:
    Not having the DVDs i cannot answer your question. But the discs now look perfect and sound that way.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc