Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yeah, I agree. The push is to go streaming and more and more folks are opting for streaming rather than having discs.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar

I am going to miss Oppo.

Great client. Great product.

They 100% understood our enthusiast needs. Few other companies do.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    That could happen. However, I wonder if many will shy away from buying the remaining new Oppo products for fear of a lack of future updates. I know the FAQ says they will continue to support the 203 and 205, and the 103 and 105 to a point but they don't say for how long.

Are we to the point with Blu-ray that we don't have to worry about firmware updates in order to play the newest releases? I know that it has been a long time since I have updated mine and it still plays everything I throw at it, but there have been issues with past releases.
    I'm still using 2012 firmware, because it allows playback of burned SACD's (which was removed due to threats by Sony in the Jan 2013 firmware). To this day, I have only been unable to play 2 blu-rays (Ironically one was manufactured in 2011 & my firmware is Dec 2012).
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

According to another board I post on, the 205 is sold out on both Amazon & direct from Oppo & has already been sighted being offered for the asking price of $2700.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Given all the chatter on social media, I am not surprised.

I did a little digging for comparable players, and there really aren't any. There are really great CD/SACD players and good Blu-ray players, but nothing that I can find that spins all discs, except HD-DVD, and has the DACs that the 205 does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Given all the chatter on social media, I am not surprised.

I did a little digging for comparable players, and there really aren't any. There are really great CD/SACD players and good Blu-ray players, but nothing that I can find that spins all discs, except HD-DVD, and has the DACs that the 205 does.
    Or the relatively low price. Even if it was audio only, my 95 would have been a steal at $800. I think the medium price (that is a relative statement!) market is going to pc based players with out board USB & Wi-FI dacs; which at minimum kills SACD discs (& seems to me would be kinda complicated for video, though I could be wrong there).

One thing I did find interesting, is that Oppo really improved their audio stage when they went blu-ray. I don't remember the model #; but years ago I heard some sort of hi-res music from their last flagship dvd player. It sucked; it was horribly bright. The 95 was a HUGE change for the better; & based on what I've read, the 105 & 205 were improvements over my 95 if anything.

This so totally sucks. I wonder what triggered it? Oppo was never a true mass market company, & the NAD's (etc etc) of the world aren't going anywhere as far as I know.

I guess instead of the song "video killed the radio star", it should be now "streaming killed the media player"..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    This so totally sucks. I wonder what triggered it? Oppo was never a true mass market company, & the NAD's (etc etc) of the world aren't going anywhere as far as I know.
    I had a conversation with Jerry about Oppo. To him, it sounded like Oppo's investors were not happy with their potential future growth.

We don't hear of them here in the USA, but Oppo sells a ton of call phones in the Asian market. I haven't read about that side of the company halting production. Phones are cheaper to build and everyone buys new cell phones at some point.

Even if everyone had a Blu-ray player, relatively few would care enough to buy an Oppo.

High end companies don't normally expect lots of sales, which is partly why prices tend rto be higher; though Oppo was pretty reasonably priced for the quality.

Though it hit me today; I'm not sure WHY Oppo is shutting down; but it appears this sell through happened way faster than they expected; I wonder if this will change their decision?

Looks like I was at least partially correct:

https://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/lastbatch.aspx