Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Oppo Shock: Popular AV Brand Announces That 'It's Time To Say Goodbye'

from forbes,

"Oppo Digital has revealed today that it is going to cease development of new products. In a formal press statement, the US brand responsible for some of the AV world’s most respected high-end DVD, Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray players declared that ‘as Oppo 4K UHD players reach the pinnacle of their performance, it is time to say goodbye’."
    "It seems that Oppo’s announcement isn’t just limited to the development of new products, either. It also looks like Oppo is winding down product production entirely. Certainly the Oppo Digital UK press announcement clearly states that the UK arm of the company with only continue to trade ‘while stocks last’, and ‘expects to close its doors in the summer’."
    Last edited by TrippleJ; 04-02-2018 at 06:57 PM.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

WOW, please tell me this is a late April Fool's Day story.

Apparently, this is legit. Their Facebook page is blowing up and they have posted a FAQ for the end of production.

https://www.oppodigital.com/farewell.aspx

Horrible news...I corresponded with their VP of Sales this afternoon--he's a really good guy. I've been using Oppo players exclusively for close to 15 years now...not sure what I'll use in the future
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

It is an end of an era..

Is it the usual suspects that forced them to stop? Amazon?? Walmart?? (retailers selling low quality yet very cheap products to the masses???)..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The also manufacture really nice headphones and a portable headphone amp/DAC.

They also just announced a new wireless speaker. This is unbelievable.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The prices are going to go crazy on the collector's market. I strongly suggest that both audiophiles & videophiles who don't yet have an x.5 Oppo blu ray pick up the 205.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 04-02-2018 at 11:53 PM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    The prices are going to go crazy on the collector's market. I strongly suggest that both audiophiles & videophiles who don't yet have an x.5 Oppo blu ray pick up the 205.
    That could happen. However, I wonder if many will shy away from buying the remaining new Oppo products for fear of a lack of future updates. I know the FAQ says they will continue to support the 203 and 205, and the 103 and 105 to a point but they don't say for how long.

Are we to the point with Blu-ray that we don't have to worry about firmware updates in order to play the newest releases? I know that it has been a long time since I have updated mine and it still plays everything I throw at it, but there have been issues with past releases.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    It is an end of an era..

Is it the usual suspects that forced them to stop? Amazon?? Walmart?? (retailers selling low quality yet very cheap products to the masses???)..
    I doubt it. Since they're a Chinese company, I'm wondering if the new tariffs have anything to do with it? I know some Chinese dacs that I've used in DIY have gone up in prices dramatically.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector

Quote Originally Posted by prerich View Post
    I doubt it. Since they're a Chinese company, I'm wondering if the new tariffs have anything to do with it? I know some Chinese dacs that I've used in DIY have gone up in prices dramatically.
    I wouldn't think this would be the sole cause, especially at this point. I hate to see them go and from what I have read, they are not simply ceasing to sell in the USA.

Many people are abandoning physical media, that's no secret. Add to that, Blu-ray players are now seen as disposable by many who still buy discs and prices of the once $1200 players are now crazy cheap.