Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Unfortunately when I was upgrading the 203 was already pushing the price range. My X800 replaced a 9 year old S550 though so no matter what it was a huge upgrade. I just figured I'd go oppo next time around. Guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was lucky with my 95. I got it as a demo with full warranty for $800
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

According to another board I post on, the 205 is sold out on both Amazon & direct from Oppo & has already been sighted being offered for the asking price of $2700.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    According to another board I post on, the 205 is sold out on both Amazon & direct from Oppo & has already been sighted being offered for the asking price of $2700.
    I am not surprised.

Yeah, best to get one if you can before they are all out. Would be very hard to find an equivalent unit in the near future.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I was asked to share some thoughts on another board where high end gear isn't as well understood as here. In doing the research, I came to a surprising conclusion. I am combining 3 posts in 1 here.

"The 203 is the current entry level model. The audio quality will be lower then the 205 (probably significantly lower). That said, I'm as certain as I can be without hearing it that the audio quality will be better than anything else in the $500 range.

So it depends on how good your ears & stereo are whether the 203 would be sufficient for you. They have not yet sold out of 203's; it's the 205's that had the feeding frenzy. For audiophiles, as was stated earlier, there will be another batch of 205's available in July or August. With the 9.x series that I own, I would not have been happy with the 93; but I have been into high end audio since around 1992. If you are happy with the sound of mass market electronics & you don't expect that to change, the 203 may be all you need.

I am uncertain as to the video quality differences between the 2. The link that was posted would seem to indicate that most of the differences are in the audio end.

I know that with the 93/95 series, there were both major audio & video differences between the 3 & the 5.

On a related subject, the $2700/$3300 model people have been talking about has been modified to be region free on blu-ray. That is part of the reason for the inflated price; though they did raise the price significantly when what I think Oppo believed to be a year's supply of 205's sold out in 2 days.

One other related subject; I have been told that Cambridge Audio is legally selling "rebadged" & modified 205's.

I did a little research on the Cambridge audio unit. It appears to be a slightly stripped down version of the 203 at a similar price. It's called the CXU. Apparently the current manufacture has removed the audio dac; you would need an external dac to play ANY digital audio. This APPEARS to only impact recent manufacture.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.c...rom-the-CXUHD-

IF IF IF IF I read correctly, the Oppo 20.x series no longer upsamples to 1080 as previous Oppo's did; it appears they ONLY upsample to 4k. The Cambridge does still upsample to either 1080 or 4k; but if it really requires an external dac; stick with the Oppo! I don't like the Oppo 20.x 4k ONLY upsampling (if true); the 95 does a phenomenal job of upsampling DVD video to 1080. Yes, a blu still looks better, but I've never seen dvd look anywhere as good as on my 95.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QZVsNd...Audio-CXU.html

Finally, the Cambridge does not state anywhere that I can see whether it plays flac, dsd, etc files as the Oppo does.

I did a bit more research. Having never heard the 105 or 205; my opinion based on what I've read is that the way to go for those who want a 1080 upsampling option & who want to save some money is to consider a used 105. Unless the 105 has glitches that I would be unaware of, for the non 4k world, it seems to me to be a more sensible option for many of us. It also does 4k, but it gives you the option re: upsampling. (The 205 will do 1080, but based on what I read will only upsample to 4k).

The 105 & 205 have the same brand of DAC (digital audio convertor) & both are said to be the flagship model. I don't know if the 205 is a newer improved dac. If not, for me unless money is no object & you are 4k for life, I would seriously consider a well cared for used 105 rather than a new 203 or 205.

In fact, imo a used 105 is a 100% no brainer for anyone rather than a new 203. For an extra $200 or so, you get 3 times or more the sound quality, as far as I can tell most if not all of the same features & similar video quality.

And I just discovered, there is a $140 region free (blu & dvd) hardware kit for the 103 & 105 that also allows you to play burned SACD's.

That makes a used 105 even more of a no brainer in my book."
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 04-08-2018 at 09:17 PM.

Posting for those who don't know on your other forum:

The main difference between the 203 and 205 is the DAC and that is only via the analog audio outputs.

Here's a section from Dennis Burger's UDP-205 review that goes more in-depth about the audio differences.

As with previous generations, the most significant differences between the UDP-205 and the UDP-203 boil down to audio performance. And there are quite a few of them. In lieu of the UDP-203's AKM AK4458VN DAC chip, the UDP-205 relies on dual ESS ES9038PRO SABRE DAC chips, one for its 7.1-channel analog output and another for its dedicated stereo audio outputs, with a true differential signal path to its pair of XLR outs. The player also boasts a high-precision HDMI clock and specialized HDMI audio jitter-reduction circuitry, a hefty toroidal power supply, and an asynchronous USB DAC input with support for PCM up to 768 kHz and up to DSD512. This USB DAC input only supports two-channel audio, and it outputs directly to the player's dedicated stereo output (no HDMI out, no bass management); however, the UDP-205 can also access digital audio stored on external drives via dual USB 3.0 ports on the back and one 2.0 port up front, as well as via your home network--with support for AIFF, WAV, ALAC, APE, and FLAC files, as well as multichannel DSD. These inputs, along with the optical and coaxial digital inputs (which can receive Dolby Digital, DTS, AAC, and two-channel PCM up to 192 kHz), can be output any way you'd like.

In addition, the UDP-205 features an upgraded headphone output connected straight to one of the ES9038PRO chips, with upgraded power output compared with previous-generation audiophile players like the BDP-105.

All of that does, of course, add up to some substantial differences in form factor between the two players. The UDP-205 is, at 4.8 inches, a good 1.7 inches taller than the 203. At 22 pounds, it's a solid 9.5 pounds heavier than its less-expensive counterpart.
    The 203, 205, 103, 105 all can upscale to 1080p and this is selectable in the video resolution section of the unit's menu. You can lock the resolution in to say output all to 1080p, use the video's native format (no upscaling), or "auto" will scale all video to the display's native resolution.

As to how any Oppo compares to other Blu-ray players out there:

It has RS-232 in and output ports that are very handy as well as the newer players have both front and rear IR sensors. These are features that can benefit both custom installers and AV DIY'ers.

The Oppo players have been proven to pass all video benchmark tests, which most players can not.

You also get a much more solidly built player which I personally like.

Here are a few review links, if you're interested in reading more.

https://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-d...ayer-reviewed/
    https://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-d...ayer-reviewed/

Good to hear I read incorrect info re: the video upsampling.

Do you know if the 205's dac is a newer version of the Sabre than the 105's?

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    Do you know if the 205's dac is a newer version of the Sabre than the 105's?
    I'm not sure about the differences if any. Here's the review of the BDP-105. Maybe it will answer your question.
    https://hometheaterreview.com/oppo-b...y-disc-player/

Oppo proved that there is a market for quality universal disc players and then some. Hopefully another company (or person) takes up the mantle and runs with it.

The shock I've seen in people's reactions is a testament to the value of a company like them. (Or rather, the players they made, since it seems like outside of the US they were not making smart moves.)

My takeaway is not that "physical media is dead" but that the company who made the best players went under for unrelated reasons and everything will be OK. Remember when the turntable died?

(This is not to say that physical media is a-OK in terms of relevance, but I know I'll never depend on a streaming service when it comes time to watch one of my favorite movies, and I know there are lots of people out there who feel the same.)

R.I.P. Oppo

Long live silver discs.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.