Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is this the End of High-End Universal Disc Spinners?

It is with great sadness that I report the end of The Standard most of us use to gauge all Blu-ray players, Oppo.

Name:  oppo marker.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  26.8 KB

I have come to realize a few Universal Truths in my years on this planet.

• The sun always rises in the east.
    • No matter who you are, you are going to die and you can't take it with you.
    • Always buy avocados a little firmer than you think unless you are using them that day.
    • Oppo will always make the best Universal Disc Players.

Well, maybe I was wrong on that last one, but WOW.

Oppo Digital has made some of the best DVD and universal disc players that money can buy. Right now. $549 gets you a player that has support for nearly all optical disc formats currently on the market. Not only that, they are solidly built, have high-end features (like an HDMI input that uses the player's video scaler), and is supported like no other company in the AV world that I can think of.

With Oppo calling it quits, does this mark the end of a truly great-quality, solidly-built, and supported universal disc player?

Thoughts? I'm at a loss.

I'm now sort of wishing I had gotten a 203 instead of going with the Sony X800 a few weeks back. I figured "my next one" would be an OPPO finally. On other hand I did read some good discussions somewhere along the lines of they're saying they'll continue software support and warranty stuff but how long can that really last when they're no longer in business making new products to keep the money coming in.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

I really recommend the 05 over the 03. In the 200 series the 05 also adds 4k; but in the 9.x & 10.x series the only difference between the 3 & 5 was significantly better audio in the 5 (which my understanding is still the case with the 205)
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

I am a proud Oppo owner and they will be missed. I will keep my Oppo till it dies at which point, I will be at a loss of what to replace it with....

RIP Oppo.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I was thinking now may be the time to upgrade my 93 but it pretty much covers all the bases.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    I was thinking now may be the time to upgrade my 93 but it pretty much covers all the bases.
    JR
    The newer players will likely be faster to power up and load, possibly have better scaling chips for DVDs, and offer 4K. A few do offer Dolby Vision but not all.

Other than that.......

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    I really recommend the 05 over the 03. In the 200 series the 05 also adds 4k; but in the 9.x & 10.x series the only difference between the 3 & 5 was significantly better audio in the 5 (which my understanding is still the case with the 205)
    Unfortunately when I was upgrading the 203 was already pushing the price range. My X800 replaced a 9 year old S550 though so no matter what it was a huge upgrade. I just figured I'd go oppo next time around. Guess not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

The only way that the 205 is worth the extra money is if you are using it as your primary audio disc spinner, and you are using the analog audio outputs.

If you use only HDMI for audio, there's no difference in the 205 ($1299) and the much lower priced 203 ($549).

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    I am a proud Oppo owner and they will be missed. I will keep my Oppo till it dies at which point, I will be at a loss of what to replace it with....

RIP Oppo.
    Me too.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    The newer players will likely be faster to power up and load, possibly have better scaling chips for DVDs, and offer 4K. A few do offer Dolby Vision but not all.

Other than that.......
    And as I mentioned above, for music fans the 05's have a much higher quality audio section then the 03's.