Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Solo - A Star Wars Story Official Movie Trailer

Coming to theaters May 25, 2018. Thoughts?

I will check it out, just as I had with all the star wars movies.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Meh...I'll see it, but I'm not expecting much.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I'm hoping that Disney does a creditable job to all the "origins movies".

With all the references to the character's histories that were made throughout the original films, seeing the backstory would be awesome. However, it also has the potential to be a huge let down for fans of the original trilogy.

I thought that Rogue One and The Force Awakens were fairly interesting and entertaining but I have yet to spin The Last Jedi. Here's hoping that they don't screw up Solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I'm hoping that Disney does a creditable job to all the "origins movies".

With all the references to the character's histories that were made throughout the original films, seeing the backstory would be awesome. However, it also has the potential to be a huge let down for fans of the original trilogy.

I thought that Rogue One and The Force Awakens were fairly interesting and entertaining but I have yet to spin The Last Jedi. Here's hoping that they don't screw up Solo.
    I think Rogue One taught us two things

1. We don't need to know every single thing that happened around the events of the original trilogy. I was fine not knowing the specifics of how they got the plans. Really.

2. Regardless of the *what* the thing that really matters is the *who*. Half of what makes the originals work is down to the charisma of the actors, and the interesting characters they played. (Though really mostly the former because boy, that script...)

Rogue One did not have a single memorable character (literally), so when that third act action blowout went down I enjoyed the fireworks but didn't care about what was happening or to who. Star Wars (1st one) was packed full of memorable characters and I was well invested by the time the big finale rolled around, and a lot the tension was due to really caring about them, not just watching stuff blow up.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, I can mostly agree with you about Rogue One.

What I liked about it was the origins of The Death Star, its weakness, and the sacrifices that most every character made. Yes, the characters themselves were mostly forgettable but I would have liked to have seen more of Jyn and Cpt. Cassian. For me, there was a connection although not as deep as most any character from Ep. IV.

One thing you have to admit, which you touched on, is with Rogue One the script was much better from a dialog standpoint.

It really seems like a strange combination - Ep. IV (terrible script but enduring characters), Rogue One (much better script yet much less connection with the characters).

I agree Tracy...dialog written by Lucas is horrible--even in Star Wars: Episode IV, and especially in the prequels...."Anakin, you're breaking my heart."
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I agree Tracy...dialog written by Lucas is horrible--even in Star Wars: Episode IV, and especially in the prequels...."Anakin, you're breaking my heart."
    I've read that Harrison Ford ideally wanted his portrayal of Han Solo to end much earlier, maybe as early as the original trilogy. Maybe this is part of the reason. At least with the Indiana Jones films, he had more to work with respect to the script.

Harrison Ford was credited as saying "George, just because you write this crap doesn't mean we can say it." He was right on point.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...n_2097347.html
    David Vaughn

OK...just got back from watching Solo with my wife and kids, who are in town visiting this weekend for mine and my wife's birthdays. Anyway, I went into this movie with a lot of trepidation after "The Last Jedi," and actually came away very entertained. The story actually has some heart, the kid playing Solo grew on me, and Donald Glover kills it as Lando (please give him his own movie!). I was pleasantly surprised by the love story aspect and The Mother of Dragons does a fantastic job and steals a lot of scenes (plus, she's smokin' hot). 3.5/4 stars.
    David Vaughn