Phantom Thread (Blu-ray) review

Name:  phantom.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  20.8 KB

Plot
    Set in the glamour of the 1950’s post-war London, renowned dressmaker Reynolds Woodcock and his sister Cyril are at the center of British fashion, dressing royalty, movie stars, heiresses, socialites, debutants and dames with the distinct style of The House of Woodcock. Women come and go through Woodcock’s life until he comes across a young, strong-willed woman, Alma, who soon becomes a fixture in his life as his muse and over. Once controlled and planned, he finds his carefully tailored life disrupted by the scariest curse of all…love.

My Thoughts
    Paul Thomas Anderson is a writer/director who has a loyal following of fans, but I don’t consider me one of this group. While I enjoyed Boogie Nights, I couldn’t stand Magnolia (one of the dumbest movies I’ve ever seen), but I’d heard good things about this and thought I’d give it a try. Well, that was a mistake.

To call this movie slow would be an insult to slow movies. The glacial pacing attempts to set the mood of the film and sets up the love story between the two stars, but frankly, I didn’t find that they had that much chemistry at all—maybe because I was fighting to stay awake! On their own, the acting was quite good, I liked the score, and the cinematography was good, but it just didn’t click with me or my wife.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Camera Tests
    • For the Hungry Boy (Deleted Scenes)
    • House of Woodcock Fashion Show
    • Behind the Scenes Photographs
    • Blu-ray + Movies Anywhere Digital Copy

Conclusion
    This may be one of those movies where you have to be in the right mood to watch it, and I obviously wasn’t. It’s an arthouse film that my appeal to a very narrow audience, but if you’re a fan of Anderson’s other films, you’ll probably like it more than I did.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I agree with almost everything you said, but for me they were largely positives.

I saw this knowing absolutely nothing about it except Daniel Day Lewis and PT Anderson were involved, but given the pedigree expectations were high. It wasn't what I expected but I still really liked it.

If for nothing else it's worth it to see DDL's performance. It may well be his best, and is notable for the fact that he plays a (sort of) normal person and not so much a larger than life character like he usually does. This one is all about subtlety and he crushes it to the point it almost feels like an intimate documentary.

What this movie is "about" is a tenuous relationship between two people who need each other but can hardly stand each other. (Which is perhaps why you felt they had no chemistry?)

The pacing really added to this for me, as we keep (slowly) discovering what their issues are along with them vs. being hit over the head with on the nose storytelling.

All I know is that I'll never let someone make me an omelet. (Gotta watch the movie to get that one.)

-
    Oh and I gotta mention I saw this in beautiful 70mm at Alamo Drafthouse. Anderson shot it in 35mm and blew it up to 70mm for the very limited theatrical film release, so the whole thing is bathed in a lovely exaggerated grain. It looked gorgeous, and had a very Barry Lyndon quality to it. (And also shares that film's glacial pace too.)
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 04-12-2018 at 01:03 AM.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Have to agree with u on this one Dave.

Felt i had to watch it because of DDL and PTA but damn.

Credit for the effort. Well made movie. Style and costumes were gorgeous. but that wasnt enough for me.

What were to gain from watching this? We all know assholes exist. Didnt need someone to tell me that.

now was DDL a refined asshole? Yes. sister wasnt too far removed either.

I compare this love affair with PTA to Malick. Malick's last couple of movies have been bores of a higher degree, but because Malick made it should revere it.

This was no different IMO.

Interesting take. I didn't find his character to be an A-hole at all. Just an incredibly successful, busy man (and also a perfectionist) who couldn't handle the demands and uncertainty that come with relationships.

I'd describe him as a bit of a misanthrope, but he's overall a good guy, and at least aware that he's a pain to deal with.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Interesting take. I didn't find his character to be an A-hole at all. Just an incredibly successful, busy man (and also a perfectionist) who couldn't handle the demands and uncertainty that come with relationships.

I'd describe him as a bit of a misanthrope, but he's overall a good guy, and at least aware that he's a pain to deal with.
    its true that u find many uber successful people to struggle with personal relationships. maybe because the focus was on his issues with relating to women only, i struggled with it. And to describe him as a "good guy" is a bit of a stretch.

For example, a movie that i loved and can watch all day that was about an asshole is Steve Jobs. Fantastic movie. But in it u saw his struggles not only with the women in his life but also the issues with the men as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    its true that u find many uber successful people to struggle with personal relationships. maybe because the focus was on his issues with relating to women only, I struggled with it. And to describe him as a "good guy" is a bit of a stretch.
    Yah, I had a feeling "good guy" was a bit too far, but I can't really think of anything qualifying him as an A-hole. What was it for you?

The only thing I can think of (and I've only seen the movie once, months ago) was how he essentially ripped the dress he made off the drunken woman. That was semi-justified though.

Also worth noting that I don't think we see the "real" him until he eats the mushrooms. That's pretty key, and as we learn, tapping into that is the only way the couple can survive.