Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Lone Ranger Rides Again

Over time, David and I have kidded each other over or different views of the last Lone Ranger movie. Sane people argue over politics or religion…we found peace there, but we argue over the Lone Ranger. My thoughts go a bit beyond just the tis movie, so, without kidding here is what I think, for all it is worth.

I like small movies. Like big movies too! But small movies, one without $100,000,000 dollars of special effects are most often about people. I felt that way about “Hidden Figures,” “The Paper” and “The Founder.” I am just concerned that these movies may get lost, or twisted by the profits of the big blockbusters. Apparently, the Lone Ranger was.

I totally enjoyed the newest “True Grit,” a western. It was made for a “cheap” $38 million and grossed about eight times that. The movie was about people, but I also enjoyed the beauty of the American West.

The Lone Ranger and Zorro were the first super-heroes of my youth. Mysterious masked men who fought for justice. So I expected a nice “small” movie about John Reed searching for justice after his brother was killed. Instead I got a movie that cost $250 million dollars.

First: WHERE THE HELL DID ALL THAT MONEY GO? It didn’t look like Star Wars. There was no horse riding to the stars. This should have been a simple movie.

Sadly it opens, not as a western, in a more modern setting with a seemingly statue of a deranged Tonto coming to life.(or maybe he was just deranged and posed as one.) Well, this makes the movie more of a fantasy (or even a spoof) than a western should be, especially when Tonto explains that John cannot be killed in battle. I love Depp, but boy was he miscast (political correctness plays a part in that, maybe, by now, Native Americans should be allowed to play Native Americans.)But he was sort of comic relief; I could not take his character seriously. The movie ends with more supernatural moments, with him as his bird. Honest to gosh, two of my friends walked out at this point!

The movie was confusing to follow and I really, really didn’t care about any of the characters. Not only was it long, but it took too long for John Reed to turn into the Lone Ranger. (I felt the same about Bruce Banner and the Hulk in his first movie.) And the whole train chase (and ride) and such was loud and perhaps picturesque, but was too long and too predictable to be enjoyed.

The movie, I guess, never fully decided what kind of movie it wanted to be, so it gave it everything it could. There will be no sequel, and no remake perhaps in my lifetime. My first super-hero bites the dust. Or a silver bullet.

David was not the only person that liked this movie, it did appeal to others. It lost a fortune and it did not get the initial turnout that was expected. But Armin Hammer and Henry Cavill (Man of Steel) remain two actors I now try to avoid. (so you can guess how felt about The Man from UNCLE)

Name:  1678864-loneranger.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  23.5 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I too was baffled by the lack of impressive visuals and set pieces, etc. It felt more like a made for TV pilot and no way did this feel like a mega budget studio tentpole.

At least with the (similarly priced) Pirates of the Caribbean series, you see that $$$ on screen. They're mostly awful movies, but you gotta admit that the visual effects, stunts and production design are amazing.

Hard to believe this movie was made by the same person, with the same people.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, I did not think of it, but you are absolutely right, it was like a tv pilot.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Every film, no matter how dismal the storyline, in the POTC saga looks amazing and lots of stuff blows up from pistols, gunpowder kegs, and canons.

Money well spent, I would say.

I truly do love watching them even though they are far from great films.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Every film, no matter how dismal the storyline, in the POTC saga looks amazing and lots of stuff blows up from pistols, gunpowder kegs, and canons.

Money well spent, I would say.

I truly do love watching them even though they are far from great films.
    Same with the Transformer movies. Love em or hate em, you get what you pay for. Michael Bay blows stuff up good, and uses cutting-edge CGI.

When you remove the spectacle from the equation, what do you get? Lone Ranger I guess...
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Same with the Transformer movies. Love em or hate em, you get what you pay for. Michael Bay blows stuff up good, and uses cutting-edge CGI.
    True, the Transformers films are also a go-to for me if I'm looking for great sound (mostly) and pure eye candy. However, I seem to remember the last one (or maybe the one before that) being pretty bad, even by my standards.

One was pretty much a dog sound wise but I forget which one. They are all kind of running together after LaBeouf left. As much as I don't like him as an actor, he fit the franchise in my mind. Other than that, I would love him to be erased from iRobot and Indiana Jones 4. Well, let's just hit the DELETE button on IJ 4 altogether.

I stand by my review and Ralph agrees with me...it was a decent movie that falls into the stupid fun category.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    True, the Transformers films are also a go-to for me if I'm looking for great sound (mostly) and pure eye candy. However, I seem to remember the last one (or maybe the one before that) being pretty bad, even by my standards.

One was pretty much a dog sound wise but I forget which one.
    Part II and Part IV and especially Part V are garbage overall. First one and third one are fun though.

For the last one (The Last Knight) I could barely stand it, the script and acting were so bad. I can't specifically remember which one had bad sound, but I would guess number 2, which was very rushed overall.

David, for me Deadpool also fell into the stupid but fun (and funny) catagory. It was totally illogical and silly, but a refreshing change to watch.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Deadpool has grown on me. I didn't like it the first time, liked it more the second, and loved it on each subsequent viewing. I'm looking forward to #2.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine