Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Avengers Infinity War Non Spoiler Review

A Non Spoiler Review of Avengers III

A non spoiler to me a revealing nothing more than in the coming attractions and such. For example, if you are following these movies, you know that Part II of this movie is coming out next year and Thanos in the Villain.

I saw the movie in IMAX 3D and it was worth it. The images were spectacular and the sound very good. The music was so so. For a regular movie I give this 3 out of four stars, but for movie/Marvel fans like me I give it 3.5.

The story is how Thanos, (Created in Iron Man #55 by Jim Starlin as seen below) goes after the “Infinity Stones.” These are six powerful stones that can control the universe. They were first featured in the first Captain America movie (The Tesseract); The Dr. Strange Movie, Thor and was the reason Thanos “hired Loki” in the first Avengers movie.

The problem in both the actual comics and movies, featuring groups like the JLA and the Avengers is that you have to quickly create a villain powerful enough to threaten the entire group. Unlike the JLA movie, Thanos had been slowly introduced in many of the Marvel movie. Thanos here is a strong enough menace. Although Thanos is CGI the acting of Josh Brolin is, frankly outstanding. His face shows the emotions of his thoughts.

Everyone who had been an Avenger is here, except for Hawkeye and Ant-Man. And there are surprise guest shots too. The action and special effects are almost non-stop. Very clearly done, the Avengers do not fight him all together, so Thanos has many conflicts with different groups. The Guardians of the Galaxy have a major role in the movie (remember that Gamora is Thano’s adopted daughter) and they pair off with different Avengers too! Dr. Strange and Spider-Man (both co-created by Steve Ditko) have major parts in the movie, although, technically, they were not Avengers.

It is an exhausting 2.5 hours, and stay for the final scene at the end of the credits. Remember to pick up your brain which you should have checked at the concession stand before seeing this movie. Very important to me, is that Marvel created an illogical movie universe, but they stay in it, unlike DC. Marvel follows their own logic.

Name:  Thanos.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  105.4 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I am looking forward to seeing this one and I appreciate the non-spoiler review.

If nothing else, I know it will look good and a lot of stuff is going to get destroyed in an epic manner. I hope that the Blu-ray soundtrack is up to par with some of the better Marvel releases.

Thanks, Barry.

Barry,

Thanks for the review. I'll go and see this later this week in the best theater in my town ($2 premium per ticket), but I think it would be worth it. I'll post my thoughts after seeing it....my daughter went to the premiere in LA and loved it.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I will hopefully catch it next weekend.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Spoiler ALERT: Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT: Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT Spoiler ALERT

Here is the reason it doesn’t get FOUR stars.
    Will Eisner, “Where truth laughs at fiction and death is not the end.”
    Disney originally announced that this would be a two part movie, the conclusion comes next year. So this was their “Empire Strikes Back!”

In all Super Hero movies, the hero loses ALL battles except the last one. So since the last one is next year I knew how this movie ended. This eliminates a lot of suspense.

Like Jumanji, the plot is spelt out in the first ten minutes. Frankly you knew that Thanos would win. And sadly, the fate of some of the heroes I know will be undone and they will be restored by the next movie. Nobody is giving up on a Black Panther series with all the money it takes in. Will Eisner, referring to his Spirit comics was right, death here is not the end.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Barry,

Thanks for the review. I'll go and see this later this week in the best theater in my town ($2 premium per ticket), but I think it would be worth it. I'll post my thoughts after seeing it....my daughter went to the premiere in LA and loved it.
    My tickets were $20.50 each
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I want to see this, however I know Black Panther is in it and I have not yet seen that. I know it's still actually in theaters here though. Do I need to bother seeing Black Panther before watching this (i.e. will I miss some things having not seen it first?). I do plan to eventually see it but not sure if I can make it to the theater for both and figure I'd wait for BP to hit disc, see it, then see this movie.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

No, you don't have to see that to enjoy the Avengers. It would help and explain what a wonderful place Wakanda is, but not necessary.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Bought my ticket for tomorrow night for my wife and I. Seeing it in the JBX theater here locally.

http://www.brendentheatres.com/jb-x/
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Skipping past Barry's SPOILERS..............

My brother-in-law saw it last night. He was fairly impressed.

He said that "some people die but it sets up some things to come. It's a bit like Marvel does Return of the Jedi". Whatever all that means.

He knows that I haven't seen it and likely won't until it hits Blu-ray.