Updated Format Survey Results

I don't remember if I posted about the original survey; some may find this interesting. It's from Blue Coast Records; who are an indie acoustic hi-res SACD & Download company.
    CDs, SACDs and HIGH RESOLUTION DOWNLOADS are NOT DEAD!

In some disbelief about the numbers of people buying CDs, we ran the survey to a larger group of people. High resolution music came out on top (as expected)

Of note... IFPI posted the results of the global music industry. Independents represent the largest category of music (more than Universal, Sony and Warner). 37% of the indie labels are buying physical discs.. vinyl and CDs.

During April Blue Coast Music and DSD-Guide conducted a joint survey using their readers (now numbering 32,000) to find out what and how they were listening to music.

So far these are the results in. Keep in mind that these are our readers and don't reflect the general population. Still, we feel these results are valid within our community of active music lovers. We had hundreds of people take the survey. For reporting, we are using 100 as the base number ... for example... 86 out of 100 people download music in high resolution.

Question - What format do you listen to?
    86/100 - High Resolution Downloads
    77/100 - CDs
    70/100 - SACD
    58/100 - Vinyl
    56/100 - Low res streaming and MQA
    12/100 - Tape

There were many write-ins for DVD-Audio, Ripped CDs, Blu-Ray, etc. We would expect our readers to advocate high resolution downloads, but were surprised by the number of people buying CDs and SACDs.

This isn't surprising if you consider that independent labels (25% of the music purchased) lists 37% buying physicals products -- like CDs and vinyl. We got our numbers from the latest IFPI report on global sales for 2017. Sadly, I don't think high resolution downloads make a dent in global sales, but we hope one day that will change.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Another interesting post from the same company,

Some interesting things happening in the music industry. Did you know that Spotify went public and is now worth more than all 3 major record labels combined? I don't know about you, but that's a scary thought for musicians and those wanting higher quality audio. The $0.0036 amount per play does not bode well for musicians paying studios for higher quality audio. Tidal payouts aren't much better.
    There is a disconnect between the music lovers (you) wanting quality sound and the artists/engineers recording. They don't know there is a fanbase for high quality audio.
    We are spreading the word to the artist community that you, the fan, exists. Help us spread the word. Talk about the music at your next forum. Show your appreciation by purchasing a download instead of streaming at Spotify or Tidal. Convenience is nice, but doesn't pay the electricity bills.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Spotify and Pandora are simply the new version of radio with a much more immediate "request line".

I use them daily not only as background music, but I also use them to listen to albums that I don't own before buying. I remember, as a kid, going into my local record store. The owner had one entire wall with 45's of various artists. If I was ever considering buying an album, chances are she would have a single from that album and would play it for me. If I liked it, I usually bought the LP.

Spotify is my new "friendly neighborhood record store lady". However, I'm sure that most people don't use it this way.

We used to have a local indy that would let you preview any cd before purchase with no pressure. Today, that indy's gone form 4 or 5 to one store, & afaik, no longer offers the previews.