Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Worst CGI I've ever seen in a movie this big. Where did the $200m budget go? It certainly wasn't spent on CGI or sets. 90% of the movie takes place in front of a green screen and it's painfully obvious, almost shockingly bad. They couldn't find a real waterfall???

And in action scenes the cuts between CGI versions of characters and the real actors is just awful. You get a real human and then BAM! it's a CGI gummy bear that moves like it has no weight. The final showdown was sooooo bad in that regard.

Compared to Infinity War, which has some amazing and very realistic CGI, Black Panther feels like a SyFy movie.

Outside of the FX it was pretty run-of-the-mill and the pacing was way off. And I hated the magic eye-rolling Vibranium that can apparently do anything and kills the tension in key scenes throughout. They even pulled the "main character dies with 45m left in the movie" bit. Suuuuure, he's dead. Until he's not.

Glads to see more diversity in these types of movies, just wish this one was good.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon brings up a major sore point I have.

Death to comic book characters is not fatal, it is just an inconvenience. It therefore takes any suspense out of the movie. Not just the Black Panther but Superman died a few years ago in Batman Vs. Superman. And I wont discuss the new Avengers. In X-Men 3, Jean Gray, Cyclops and Prof X die only to return a few movies laterr Everyone died at the beginning of X-Men days of Future Past, but were there at the end.

It is worse in the comics. From 1961-1976, at Marvel, dead was dead. Not any more. Death is treatable and characters return all the time.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

It's a comic book movie, so I don't expect any real-life events to be portrayed properly.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Brandon brings up a major sore point I have....

...It is worse in the comics. From 1961-1976, at Marvel, dead was dead. Not any more. Death is treatable and characters return all the time.
    I remember this one issue of Punisher that showed him blowing a huge hole in Daredevil on the front. Like, a HUGE hole, using a machine gun. Clearly, Daredevil was killed, right on the cover. I was shocked and read through the issue right away, as Punisher and Daredevil were my two favorites as well. Guess what? Daredevil didn't die, and him and Punisher didn't even fight! they just said some threatening stuff to each other.

Total cheap trick, but not unusual in the comic book world. I hate being mislead like that, and while I get that they gotta sell issues, it makes me not want to buy the next one when stuff like that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    It's a comic book movie, so I don't expect any real-life events to be portrayed properly.

Totally agree, but in this case it was a cheap "fake-out" death meant to trick the audience. It's just that it's such a tired out trick by now. At least in Justice League for example (and wow I never thought I'd have anything positive to say about that movie) they spent a fair amount of time trying to make Superman's resurrection seem plausible, at least in the context of the film. But they didn't do the "oh, you thought he was dead? He's not" like Black Panther).

Also, did anyone wish Killmonger (aka Michael B Jordan) took over as Black Panther and followed through on his plan? That sure would have been unexpected and interesting, but understandably they played it safe.

IMO Michael B Jordan was the best thing about the movie, wish he had been in it more. Same with Andy Serkis, who was excellent and hopefully will be doing more live action stuff in the future.
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 05-13-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Looking forward to seeing this so I can finally go see Infinity War before it leaves the theater. This is actually STILL in the theater here (first run theater even) but I just didn't make it out to see it yet. Was hoping to do a double feature of both on Saturday but it just didn't work out.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast

A funny thing happened to me on my way to buy the black panther desk at Best Buy.
    When I walked into the store the greeter at the door and asked me what I was looking for and could they help me.
    I said I was just looking for the disc of the black panther.
    So is everyone else, he said. He pointed to the display and you can see that there was a run on that disc. 3/4 of them have been sold already and I had just gotten there at 11 AM
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Wow...not surprising. Disney+Marvell=BIG SALES!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Worst CGI I've ever seen in a movie this big. Where did the $200m budget go? It certainly wasn't spent on CGI or sets. 90% of the movie takes place in front of a green screen and it's painfully obvious, almost shockingly bad. They couldn't find a real waterfall???

And in action scenes the cuts between CGI versions of characters and the real actors is just awful. You get a real human and then BAM! it's a CGI gummy bear that moves like it has no weight. The final showdown was sooooo bad in that regard.

Compared to Infinity War, which has some amazing and very realistic CGI, Black Panther feels like a SyFy movie.

Outside of the FX it was pretty run-of-the-mill and the pacing was way off. And I hated the magic eye-rolling Vibranium that can apparently do anything and kills the tension in key scenes throughout. They even pulled the "main character dies with 45m left in the movie" bit. Suuuuure, he's dead. Until he's not.

Glads to see more diversity in these types of movies, just wish this one was good.
    have to agree with Brandon here.

besides Captain America 1 & 2, GOTG 1, Dr. Strange, Thor: Ragnarok and Iron Man 1, i dont consider any of the rest of the Marvel universe movies "good". out of 19 movies. 19! i put the rest with the Transformers movies after the first one and the first half of Dark of the Moon. Eh. Maybe Ant-Man? like i said, eh.
    Last edited by NoUDont; 05-16-2018 at 01:05 PM.

Barry,

I am most surprised by this statement.

"When I walked into the store the greeter at the door and asked me what I was looking for and could they help me."
    Wow, I am at a loss for words. Wow.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    have to agree with Brandon here.

besides Captain America 1 & 2, GOTG 1, Dr. Strange, Thor: Ragnarok and Iron Man 1, i dont consider any of the rest of the Marvel universe movies "good". out of 19 movies. 19! i put the rest with the Transformers movies after the first one and the first half of Dark of the Moon. Eh. Maybe Ant-Man? like i said, eh.
    I've *liked* most of them, and only thought Thor 2 was flat-out bad. (Love the original Thor though.)

I'm OK with their whole template, even if they've made the same 3 movies for 10 years now, but they've been entertaining and had some great actors. (But too similar, look at Dr. Strange and Iron Man, same exact story, beat for beat until the end.) Again though, solid template, I'm just tired of it.

But I know when I'm buying my ticket for a Marvel movie that, at the very least, I'm gonna get top-tier effects and cool, fun action setpieces. Black Panther had neither. The only "action" that was interesting was the car chase (made tension-free by his invulnerable suit) but for every cool shot there was an awful one, and every time I thought I understood what was happening and who was doing what, it immediately jump cut or otherwise threw my brain off, and I realized it was just a mess.

So, my main gripe with this one:

Black Panther did not meet the basic expectations of a film like this, especially on a technical level as well as artistic, in utilizing visual effects. Characterization was really weak overall, but there were two really cool, interesting characters. One is killed off 1/2 way through and the other doesn't even show up until halfway through, outside of the prologue.