Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black Panther (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  blackpanther.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  33.1 KB

Plot
    T’Challa returns home to the hidden high-tech African nation of Wakanda to succeed to the throne and take his rightful place as king, following the death of his father. But when a man named Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan) appears, T’Challa’s mettle as king—and Black Panther—is tested when he’s drawn into a formidable conflict that puts the fate of Wakanda and the entire world at risk. Pitted against his own family, the king must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his foes and embrace his future as an Avenger.

My Thoughts
    It’s rare that a movie actually meets the hype that’s created in the media, but Black Panther checks all of the boxes and is wildly entertaining. The character development is excellent, the villain has a plausible back story, and the action is well positioned and fits in with the narrative to the story. Although we were first introduced to the character in Captain America: Civil War, we get to see where his powers come from and how his civilization has remained hidden from the rest of the world for so long.

As a UHD release, this is very good, although the Blu-ray is also excellent and even though it’s a native 4K master (shot at 3.4K), the differences between the two discs aren’t earth-shattering. Highlight effects are kept to a minimum and for the most part, the black levels and shadow details are very good, except for the opening scene with is a tad murky.

The audio track is another disappointment for a Marvel movie and really lacks the dynamics for the first half of the movie. For example, the opening scene has a lot of gunshots and yet they sound like cap guns versus high-powered bullets. The same is true for the car chase scene later in the movie. I had to up my volume by 13dB to get any sort of low-end punch. Fortunately, the last half of the movie improves on things, but given the pedigree of this movie, the audio and video should both be top-notch.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 8/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

Blu-ray:

• Director’s Intro
    • From Page to Screen: A Roundtable Discussion - Delve into the film’s making
    • Crowning of a New King – Explore the world of “Black Panther” in all its color and complexity
    • The Warriors Within – Get to know Wakanda’s women and the actors who portray them
    • The Hidden Kingdom Revealed – Wakanda’s diverse people
    • Wakanda Revealed: Exploring the Technology
    • Deleted Scenes
      • U.N. Meet and Greet
      • Okoye And W’Kabi Discuss the Future of Wakanda
      • T’Challa Remembers His Father
      • Voices from the Past

• Gag Reel
    • Exclusive Sneak Peek at “Ant-Man and The Wasp”
    • Marvel Studios the First Ten Years: Connecting the Universe
    • Director’s Commentary

Digital Exclusives:

• In World Wakanda Tourism Ads
      • Come to Wakanda “Before”
      • Come to Wakanda “After”

• Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    While I was disappointed with the audio track, the movie is excellent and is a fine addition to the Marvel universe and I’m sure this won’t be the last we see of the Black Panther given the humongous worldwide success of the movie. If you’re a Marvel fan, definitely pick this one up. If not, still give it a viewing because it’s a fun movie with a great story and lots of action. Highly recommended.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

In my never ending quest to review a movie before David, please check my review at
    http://www.hometheaterequipment.com/...=Black+panther
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

As always, thanks for the reviews guys.

Although I am usually skeptical of movies that are given so much hype, based on your recommendations I will go into it with high expectations.

I will be buying, next Tuesday.

Tracy, it’s a good, fun movie. But I am very surprised at its incredible reception. With the money the Avengers are taking in, there is no room ithe Disney vault. And a Star Wars movie opens soon.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 05-09-2018 at 07:55 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry...were you typing on a phone?
    David Vaughn

Ipad
    Last edited by Lefisc; 05-10-2018 at 06:34 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Ipa
    Beer?
    David Vaughn

Thanks for the review. Saw it in the theater and it is a great movie.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I want a crossover between the Pink and Black Panther.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

LOL
    David Vaughn