12 Strong (Blu-ray) review

Name:  12 strong.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  27.5 KB

Plot
    In the harrowing days following 9/11, an elite U.S. Special Forces unit led by their Captain, Mitch Nelson (Hemsworth) is chosen to be the first U.S. soldiers sent into Afghanistan for an extremely dangerous mission in response to the attacks. Leaving their families behind, they are dropped into the remote, rugged landscape of northern Afghanistan, where they must convince General Rashid Dostum (Navid Negahban) to join forces with them to fight their common adversary: the Taliban and their Al Qaeda allies.
    In addition to overcoming mutual distrust and a vast cultural divide, the Americans—accustomed to state-of-the-art warfare—must adopt the rudimentary tactics of the Afghan horse soldiers. Despite forming an uneasy bond and growing respect, the new allies face overwhelming odds: vastly outnumbered and outgunned by a ruthless enemy that does not take prisoners.

My Thoughts
    The mission depicted in this film wasn’t declassified until a few years ago but seeing what this team went through in order to survive impossible odds is pretty amazing. Unfortunately, the Hollywoodization of the story took me out of the picture too many times. For example, the soldiers rarely stop to reload their weapons and seem to have an endless supply of bullets. Granted, this is common in movies, but when the topic is based upon a real-life experience, keep it real!

My other gripe with it is the narrative is a mixed bag and it drags in certain parts of the film. While overall, I enjoyed the experience, it had the opportunity to be so much more than it was, and I understood why when the credits rolled when I saw who produced it—Jerry Bruckheimer—enough said.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4.5/5 (DTS-HD 5.1)

Special Features:

• 12 Strong: The Making of an Impossible Mission
    • Monumental Effort: Building America’s Response Monument
    • Movies Anywhere Digital Copy + DVD

Conclusion
    There have been a handful of war movies released in recent years that have seen decent box office returns, but this wasn’t one of them. At less than $69 million, it didn’t do nearly as well as Lone Survivor, which did a little more than double that and frankly, was twice the movie this one is. While not bad by any stretch, it is flawed but worth a rental if you want to spend an evening with some American heroes.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks. I’ll check,it out on cable.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Looking at the trailer and reading your review, I'll spend the $1.50 to rent it.

Although it won't be Full Metal Jacket or Apocolypse Now kind of good, I think it's worth it. Thanks for the review, David.

Greetings,

Thanks Dave. I passed on requesting this one for review after my son saw it and wasn't impressed.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

watched this last night on Bluray. Good story, not great. tough to critique a true story, but i thought it could have been put together better.

brought to light the issues our military faced in Afghanistan. yet our soldiers were able to come through. also made u wonder if they could do it, why the hell were we there for 15 freakin' years?

no where near as good as 13 hours, which, to me is the best we have gotten of these types of movies (cant believe im saying that about a Michael Bay movie) since Black Hawk down. Lone Survivor is a close second followed by American Sniper.

worth a watch. plenty of helicopters, bullets whizzing around and explosions.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    watched this last night on Bluray. Good story, not great. tough to critique a true story, but i thought it could have been put together better.

brought to light the issues our military faced in Afghanistan. yet our soldiers were able to come through. also made u wonder if they could do it, why the hell were we there for 15 freakin' years?

no where near as good as 13 hours, which, to me is the best we have gotten of these types of movies (cant believe im saying that about a Michael Bay movie) since Black Hawk down. Lone Survivor is a close second followed by American Sniper.

worth a watch. plenty of helicopters, bullets whizzing around and explosions.
    Couldn't agree more. I've actually have watched 13 Hours three times since it's initial release. Great movie--and I like the other movies you listed as well.
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post

The answer is politicians, no more evident than Viet Nam.

I've enjoyed all your listed movies.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    The answer is politicians, no more evident than Viet Nam.

I've enjoyed all your listed movies.
    You are 100% correct Richard.
    David Vaughn