Is Hi-Res Digital on the Way Out?

I'm noticing lately that both Acoustic Sounds & Music Direct are really pushing vinyl & ignoring SACD (& in AS' case downloads also) in their promotional emails of the last couple months (though AS is still the 2nd largest source of legal hi-res dl's in the USA).

As MFSL is in bed with MD & APO is in bed with AS I wonder if they believe digital hi-res is a declining market (both physical discs & legal dl's)? That. Would. Suck.

There's also quite a trend for 24 bit to go 44/24 these days. Conversely, Blue Coast's survey (which I posted), shows Hi-res Downloads, CD, & SACD as being more popular than vinyl.
    Last edited by moomoomoomoo; 05-11-2018 at 12:49 AM.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

High-resolution audio certainly does not seem to be a priority for the music industry, as a whole.

Most everyone likes some type of music. However, fewer people are actually buying music. Of those who do buy, lower quality downloads are the norm with everything else being a far distant second.

As we both know, hi-res downloads aren't always truly higher resolution which is part of the problem with those who would love to buy better-sounding music. Also, a hi-res download doesn't always sound better than the original. I've learned that one firsthand. It makes the whole buying process too complicated.

We need a standard for what is truly high resolution and much greater transparency with respect to source material and mastering.

So..........yes, maybe it is on the way out unless some major changes are made.

The major labels have f'd up everything to do with successfully marketing legal downloads since day 1.

There wouldn't have been a Napster otherwise. Even today, if you want a Hi-res version of the new Loreena McKenniitt you have to live in Europe. Same upon release with most of the Stones vault concerts. In the US, Google had mp3's; in Europe the Stones' store had 96/24. If you want to buy something & the labels won't let you do so & someone offers it to you for free................
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    High-resolution audio certainly does not seem to be a priority for the music industry, as a whole.

As we both know, hi-res downloads aren't always truly higher resolution which is part of the problem with those who would love to buy better-sounding music. Also, a hi-res download doesn't always sound better than the original. I've learned that one firsthand. It makes the whole buying process too complicated.

We need a standard for what is truly high resolution and much greater transparency with respect to source material and mastering.

So..........yes, maybe it is on the way out unless some major changes are made.
    It's amazing to me that the industry doesn't seem to care much about pushing hi-res music. Seems like a no-brainer way to get a bit more $$ out of current releases at least.

BUT

Then I think about how almost NOBODY I know is even aware of what hi-res audio is, much less cares. Tidal has been a game changer for me, but an extra $10 a month for hi-res (on top of the $10 base price) is understandably a big jump for people who don't get why it's worth it.

Somehow, nearly decades later, mp3s are still king. Awful.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Europe seems to be moving towards cd quality DL's in place of discs.