Name:  shannara.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  28.2 KB

Plot
Season Two finds the Four Lands in chaos. The re-emergence of magic has the populace terrified, and an organization called The Crimson is hunting down magic users, using fear and intimidation to sow discord among the races. Wil Ohmsford, scarred by the loss of Amberle and his separation from Eritrea, has turned his back on his magical destiny to become a healer. But when a mysterious woman named Mareth saves Wil from a Crimson attack, his is forced to rejoin the fight. After reuniting with Eretria, Wil and Mareth seek out Allanon, only to learn that the Druid’s former protégé, Bandon, is on a mission to resurrect a creature of darkest evil: The Warlock Lord. Together, our heroes must band together to take down The Crimson and prevent Bandon from unleashing an even greater threat upon the Four Lands…before it’s too late.

My Thoughts
The Sword of Shannara was the first fantasy novel I ever read as a kid and I quickly realized I was drawn to the genre. When my daughter was old enough, I read the book to her aloud and she became a fan as well. In this TV adaptation, which Terry Brooks (author) is a part of, they take some liberties with the series of books that I’m not sure I like.

I wasn’t a big fan of the first season and was ready to give up on the show, but my wife wanted to give it a second try. While the season is better than the first, that’s not saying much since I barely made it through the first one. The show moved from MTV to Spike, so maybe it’s trying to attract a different audience. I really just wish they would have stayed on task and did a season for each of the books since it would have been way more entertaining that way.

Video 4/5 (AVC)

Audio 3.5/5 (True HD 5.1)

Special Features:

• Behind the scenes featurettes

Conclusion
The series is somewhat a mixed bag. At times very good, at other’s, well, it feels like Sci-Fi 90210 with all the pretty people involved with their various crushes and love triangles. The special effects aren’t all that special, but about what you’d expect from a low-budget production. I’m not sure I’ll watch the third season—if there is going to even be one. I’d catch this one on Netflix.