NAS - Help Me Build One

OK, I know I have been talking about this time and again for the past two years, but it's GO TIME.

The wife has filled the Seagate GoFlex Home drive with audio books and needs more space. I would also love to re-rip my CD collection and get it better organized.

I remember past discussions about using an old desktop tower, filling it with drives and running Free NAS as the OS. However, all my desktops are pretty old (pre Core 2 Duo) and assume they won't be suitable.

So, I would love to hear your recommendations for building one from scratch without breaking the bank. I would love to be under $400 for the hardware, minus drives if possible. I used to use PriceWatch to find the good deals on various computer parts and they have a section to search for computers without OS and "barebones" systems. However, I don't really know what I need as a minimum.

Will you guys with previous experience please point me in the right direction.

Tracy, I just bought a Synology 4-bay NAS back in February (I think the 918+, but I don't remember the model number). Anyway, it was easy to set up and works great.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Tracy, I just bought a Synology 4-bay NAS back in February (I think the 918+, but I don't remember the model number). Anyway, it was easy to set up and works great.
    Thanks, David. I will look it up.

I just looked on Amazon.com...yes, I got the 918+. Overkill for what I need now (I put two 6TB WD Red discs in it), so I should have plenty of space for a while on there. I've thought about ripping Blu-rays onto it as well, but I haven't had time to teach myself how to do that again with MakeMKV.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine