Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 A Space Odyssey 50th Anniversary

To celebrate the film turning 50, the studio has released what they are calling an "unrestored" 70mm print of Kubrick's landmark film that is showing in select theaters.

The celebration started on May 12, when the film made it debut at the Cannes Film Festival. Warner Brothers is releasing the film on Ultra High Definition Blu-ray with High Dynamic Range later this fall but I haven't read if it contains this unrestored version of the film.

Have any of you seen it or plan to see it in its unrestored state?

I've always found this movie boring as hell, despite watching it at least 3 or 4 times over the years.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    I've always found this movie boring as hell, despite watching it at least 3 or 4 times over the years.
    I feel the same way, David. However, this one is supposed to be just as it was 50 years ago with no digital effects or added/altered scenes.

Why does the original Star Wars not get this same treatment? Darn it...........Han shoots first.

LOL...at least Star Wars is a fun movie
    David Vaughn

Name:  44D227D3-86DD-4370-819A-26ADF84BA1BA.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  9.1 KBI absolutely love this movie. I just read a book called space Odyssey, just released, and it was incredible to learn about the behind the scenes creation of this movie. So far the Kubrick estate is saying that they would and will not release the scenes that have been cut out. When you read the book you discover that Kubrick removed 18 minutes of the film after he saw the first completed version. They had additional footage of astronaut Dave Bowman walking through the centrifuge and him going outside the ship for the second time. They also added twomtiles, Jupiter Mission 18 months later and Jupiter and Beyond the infinite.

One credit saw the first version of the movie, the one with the additional 18 minutes, they basically thought it was boring. When they came back and saw the completed version with the 18 minutes taken out they universally loved the movie. One of those scenes still exist at the studio we will probably never see them. By the way I do agree with their decision. These are seems that belong on the cutting room floor and do not add to the picture. They distract from the story rather than advancing it. I know we live in an age where they promote outtakes and even release versions of movies putting them back in, but the 2001 we have today is the directors cut.

They also have not announced the exact date for the 4K 2001.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I can only imagine the horror of 18 more minutes of this movie It's long enough as it is!!!
    David Vaughn

Stop Dave. Will you stop Dave. My mind is going. My mind is going. Will you stop Dave.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Too funny
    David Vaughn

Name:  2001_2.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  17.5 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Dave (not the astronaut) isn't wrong. The movie is SLOOOOOOW.

But it's Kubrick, that's what he does.

I saw this in 70mm about ten years ago and it was great. But boy, it's an investment. Of time and brain.

It's playing around me again with this rerelease, but I'm gonna skip it this time. Sorry, HAL.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.