Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I would imagine there will be options for repair, especially for those with the 95, 105, and 205 models. With the optical drive and power supply being the main things that could go bad, those are easy to obtain and/or repair. Not that the other models can't also be repaired, they aren't as valuable and at the point that my 103 dies, it may be better simply to replace with something new.

The other issue with Oppo closing up shop is that a good many of other better Blu-ray players are based on or are rebadges of the 105 or 205. That takes out the Lexicon, Cambridge Audio, and I think there was at least one other manufacturer that was using Oppo's chassis.
    We should be good on parts for repair for a few years (assuming Oppo's new owners choose to care); though as I learned last year with my Esoteric P-10; the manufacturer's eventually permanently run out of stock on parts; & more importantly for me, there is no one in my city (Tacoma, WA) & very few if anyone left in Seattle that do competent repairs on digital. Funny, if you've got an old tube amp, there's 5 great repair folks per square mile. When it comes to high end digital (at least around here), they're all clueless. The only guy I knew of was around 40 miles from me & he retired from old age.

I posted here about my 1990's Esoteric P-10 the last time I needed to get it repaired (tremendous sounding cd transport that cost $2k in the early 90's). The only guy I could find to work on it really was somewhat clueless. The first time they sent it home to me supposedly fixed but with the original problem; the second time it sort of works; though they fried the index point function, & I am at the point where I have to leave the top of the unit unscrewed down because I frequently have to open it & give the cd drawer a gentle push to get it to open.

Other than that................ it works great!

My main point here is I don't know of ANY competent local digital repair folks. The couple high end stores we still have left (last time I checked) would only service brands they sell; & we don't have a very wide selection of brands available in the Seattle-Tacoma area.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I was looking to buy a new pair just as Oppo made their announcement. I wound up buying a pair of the entry-level Bowers & Wilkins. I really like them.
    How much were the entry level B&W's? With my new 192/24 phone, I'd like to upgrade my Koss; but money is a major issue.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

For anyone who doesn't know; the main difference between the 03's & the 05's is a tremendous boost in the audio quality of the 05's. I would not replace my 95 with a 203 (given the choice).

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    How much were the entry level B&W's? With my new 192/24 phone, I'd like to upgrade my Koss; but money is a major issue.
    I bought a pair of P3 Series 2 from Amazon. They normally sell for around $149.99 but I was patient and was able to buy a pair through Amazon's Warehouse Deals, which normally means they were returned for some reason. They look brand new and have the full USA warranty. I paid $71.38.

They have a nice balanced sound and are very dynamic. They have good bass response, but not to the point of being overly boomy like Beats. My daughter had a pair of them and while they are fine for some things they don't compare well to the B&W's sound. The build quality of the P3 is also top-notch while the Beats are all plastic and I have had to replace the headband twice now.

$72 for B&W's is a great price. I've always loved their speakers. From the entry level $200 to the top end $10000+

I also have a pair of "Skill Candy" that were obviously voiced for rap/hip hop. They. Sound. AWFUL.

Looks like the P3 is up to $88 in the warehouse. They also have a P5 which seems to be designed for Apple, but I'm not sure what the difference would be. Also $88.

Looks like the P3 is up to $88 in the warehouse. They also have a P5 which seems to be designed for Apple, but I'm not sure what the difference would be. Also $88.
    If they are the P5 Series 2, $88 is a steal. They are B&W's mid-tier wired headphones. They are like the P3 but use noise canceling.

They normally sell for $179.99 new.

There are also cheaper P3 & P5's on ebay. Less reliable sellers, lower price, no sales tax. I'm "watching" several at the moment. How much more (sound quality wise) do you think the P-5 is worth than the p-3? I did get a little confused with the Amazon listing, it seemed to indicate the P-5 only works with I-phones (I have an android), but i assume that would be in wireless mode only?

For anyone who doesn't know; the main difference between the 03's & the 05's is a tremendous boost in the audio quality of the 05's. I would not replace my 95 with a 203 (given the choice).
    Do all hdmi outputs sound the same? That's what I use on my 93 and it sounds super in 6.1
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Do all hdmi outputs sound the same? That's what I use on my 93 and it sounds super in 6.1
    JR
    I suspect the quality of the cable makes a difference like with RCA & Balanced audio cables. I have never used HDMI for audio. I can state that the cable can make a significant difference on the video quality.