Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OPPO waiting list

Anyone wanting to get on OPPO's "when and if" list can do so on their web site; you just have to verify your email address. I signed up for the 203 list just in case. Oppo prices on amazon and ebay are through the roof.
    JR
    Last edited by jerrich; 05-29-2018 at 11:00 AM.

That is funny. Meaning peculiar. When this site posted that Oppo was going out of business I soon ordered a203 online . I ordered it directly from them and paid the usual price and had it shipped within a couple of days. I didn’t have a problem. I’m glad I went early
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I'm still can't believe they are no longer making players. What will I do if/when my player dies?

They made really great headphones too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I'm still can't believe they are no longer making players. What will I do if/when my player dies?

They made really great headphones too.
    I'm screwed when my 6 y.o. 95 dies. I hadn't heard that 203's had gotten scarce; the 205's sold out within 2 days of the announcement.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    I'm screwed when my 6 y.o. 95 dies. I hadn't heard that 203's had gotten scarce; the 205's sold out within 2 days of the announcement.
    I would imagine there will be options for repair, especially for those with the 95, 105, and 205 models. With the optical drive and power supply being the main things that could go bad, those are easy to obtain and/or repair. Not that the other models can't also be repaired, they aren't as valuable and at the point that my 103 dies, it may be better simply to replace with something new.

The other issue with Oppo closing up shop is that a good many of other better Blu-ray players are based on or are rebadges of the 105 or 205. That takes out the Lexicon, Cambridge Audio, and I think there was at least one other manufacturer that was using Oppo's chassis.

This is no surprise. Never bought the Oppo headphones I had been meaning to. And with what they're going for now, (up to $1000) I doubt I ever will.\

EDIT: Good lord, those prices are for USED pairs. No thanks to used headphones in general and certainly not at those prices.
    Last edited by Brandon Eberhart; 05-30-2018 at 08:45 PM.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    This is no surprise. Never bought the Oppo headphones I had been meaning to. And with what they're going for now, (up to $1000) I doubt I ever will.
    I was looking to buy a new pair just as Oppo made their announcement. I wound up buying a pair of the entry-level Bowers & Wilkins. I really like them.

Yeah, I had my heart set on the Oppos for whatever reason, but really, Oppo was not known for headphones. While I'm sure they're great, there's lots of great headphone options out there, so 250% markups on them don't make much sense. Unlike their disc players. which were their thing-
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Anyone wanting to get on OPPO's "when and if" list can do so on their web site; you just have to verify your email address. I signed up for the 203 list just in case. Oppo prices on amazon and ebay are through the roof.
    JR
    I put myself on the list, reluctantly. I would rather buy an equal, in production, model but I don't think there is one. I'm NOT going to pay extra for the player. I've been on the list for some time.
    Richard

I wondered why they stopped making the Darbee enabled models. From what I read, having Darbee built into the 103 and 105 was a nice feature. I really should have bought one but I snagged the 103 as soon as I could. Later that year they released the 103D.