Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I Never Expected This........

Today was my first experience of listening to high resolution (24 bit) music on a phone (LG V20)! (I never thought I would be listening to ANY music on a phone!)

My new phone has that capability. With a $100 Koss set of headphones it sounds equivalent to a well chosen introductory level cd stereo. It will never be my primary source of music, but it made an exercise walk in the park more enjoyable. First album played: CSN's debut in 192/24.

Negatives:
    1. (this may not be an issue with cd files): I had to hold the phone in my pocket with my hand to keep it steady. If it moved around, the music skipped (kind of like I was playing a cd while walking!)

2. All eq is turned off by default when playing 24 bit. That actually makes a lot of sense on a good stereo, but between the cheap electronics & inexpensive headphones, eq is necessary. The Koss need a bass boost, & my other headphones (Skull Candy) are voiced for hip hop & need the bass almost totally turned off.

EQ is allowed on cd quality files, thank God; but I really wish it was allowed on all files. The CSN on the Koss had almost no bass. I haven't spent much time yet with either 16 bit files or even mildly volume compressed (i.e. loud) 24 bit files, but with the little time I have spent, the sound isn't real good. I hope Pono, Fio, etc has better sound than this.

All that said, it will be useful for walks.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

A pretty cool "nice to have".

Can't imagine why it would "skip" though. Seems like that would only be due to the phone not having enough processing power as opposed to being moved around. And yup, I remember when those portable CD players did that. I also remember when they invented "skipless" players, and at some trade show the guy opened the player, pulled out the CD, put it back in, and the music never skipped. Digital buffering of course, but at the time it seemed like some flat-out black magic.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I was pretty surprised by the skipping also; & it was pretty major.

I'm assuming 192/24 was a bit much for the phone to handle & jarring the phone in my pocket by walking caused issues. If I put my hand around it & didn't allow it to move in my pocket, the skipping totally stopped. I'll be curious to see if it's an issue with 16 bit files.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Do you have auto rotation turned on? I agree that the processing power and/or memory might be the issue but it doesn't explain why putting your hand on the phone keeps it from happening.

If your phone is trying to switch between "portrait" and "landscape" display modes because of being bounced around in your pocket, turning off the auto rotate might solve the skipping, providing it's switched on currently.

Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try it; that make sense.

Or you could just get yourself a Pono player. I hear they're on sale...
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

I figured it out: I had the phone in my pocket so that the screen was facing my leg, & apparently my body heat caused the phone to think I was pushing buttons on the screen.

Ah, makes sense. You essentially pocket dialed your music off.

I'm still getting intermittent 1/4 second glitches even with the phone totally stationary. I am using internal storage rather than a smart card. Does anyone have the tech knowledge to know whether switching the music files to a smart card would likely solve this?

I can think of 3 possibilities:

1. A defective phone
    2. Not enough memory to handle both the quad dac & the phone apps running at the same time (I don't run a lot of apps)
    3. The internal storage vs smart card issue.

I haven't been able to find anyone else reporting this issue with this phone on the net. It works perfectly otherwise.

Sounds like a memory or CPU resource issue to me. You can check your available resources and how much memory all your apps are using at any given time.

What are your phone's specs?