Tomb Raider (UHD Blu-ray) Review

Name:  tomb.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  25.3 KB

Plot
    Lara Croft is the fiercely independent daughter of an eccentric adventurer who vanished when she was scarcely a teen. Now a young woman of 21 without any real focus or purpose, Lara navigates the chaotic streets of trendy East London as a bike courier, barely making the rent. Determined to forge her own path, she refuses to take the reins of her father’s global empire just as staunchly as she rejects the idea that he’s truly gone. Advised to face the facts and move forward after seven years without him, even Lara can’t understand what drives her to finally solve the puzzle of his mysterious death.

My Thoughts
    I wasn’t sure what to expect of this reboot of the moderately successful franchise that originally starred Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft. The beautiful Alicia Vikander takes over the lead role and frankly owns the part as if it was meant for her all along. Sure, she’s not as busty as Jolie or the video game character that she’s portraying, but her acting skills are much better and is sexy as hell.

The story itself is competent, although you definitely need to check your brain at the door in order to enjoy the story. If you think about it too much and expect it to be based in reality, you’ll be very disappointed. I went in with extremely low expectations and found it to be a fun ride, but I’m sure it helps that I’d watch Vikander read the telephone book for two hours!

Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Tomb Raider: Uncovered - The cast and crew reveal the challenges - and the fun – of bringing Lara Croft’s thrilling adventures of life for a new generation.
    • Croft Training - Enter the gym with Award winning actress Alicia Vikander as she prepares for the most physically demanding role of her career and transforms into the iconic action hero Lara Croft.
    • Breaking Down the Rapids - Join Director Roar Uthaug as he and other members of the cast and crew break down the film’s most exciting action set piece.
    • Lara Croft: Evolution of an Icon - Explore the revolutionary TOMB RAIDER saga from video games to movies, and discover how Lara Croft became one of the most popular and successful female characters of all time.
    • Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    I wasn’t sure if I’d like this one going in and I had to coerce my wife into watching it with me. While not a great film, we both enjoyed it more than expected and found it to be quite entertaining. It’s definitely worth a rental and if you’re 4K capable, the video transfer is flawless.
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 06-09-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Will watch on cable for sure. I used to joke about playing Tom Braider.
    JR

Greetings,

Agreed on all counts Dave.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

I thought the previous films were somewhat entertaining and I am going to watch this one too. They usually aren't very deep but I like the world the films create. It's a bit like Indiana Jones which I love.

Thanks, David.

1st Tomb Raider with Jolie was pretty fun. 2nd was awful.

This was OK. Vikander is no Jolie and doesn't have 1/2 the screen presence. She looks too thin and supermodel-y to be believable as an action star. Although Gal Godot has all those things and is great, so who knows.

The big action setpieces were too video-game-looking for me. (Not intentionally I don't think, it was just really obvious when it cut to a CG model of Vikander and other things.)

Story was dumb, as expected.

Worth a rental, or even better a mid-day movie on cable.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.