Coming to America (Blu-ray) review

Name:  coming.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  27.3 KB

Plot
    Prince Akeem of Zamunda upon his 21st Birthday must marry a woman that was chosen at birth to be his wife. She has been trained to obey his every command and to see to his every need. For some strange reason, this doesn’t appeal to him and he wants a wife who is not only beautiful, but intelligent as well. He decides to find this woman in America and where else should a future King go to find his bride? Well, Queens, New York! With his aid and friend Semmi along for the adventure, they get to experience the American Dream of living in the ghetto and working at McDowells, a local knock off restaurant in the likes of McDonalds.

My Thoughts
    I remember seeing this film in college and really liking it and the humor holds up pretty well 30 years later. The love story is believable, and Murphy did an excellent job in “selling” his role as the Prince. The one downside of the film is all of the characters that both Murphy and Hall play in the film get very old, very fast. Granted, this is the first film that Murphy and Rick Baker teamed up to employ this tactic and it was much “fresher” in 1988 compared to today since Murphy & Baker have used that one trick pony one too many times

Video 3.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 2.5/5 (Dolby Digital 5.1)

Special Features:

• Prince-ipal Photography: The Coming Together of America
    • Fit for Akeem: The Costumes of Coming to America
    • Character Building: The Many Faces of Rick Baker
    • Composing America: The Musical Talents of Nile Rodgers
    • A Vintage Sit-Down with Eddie and Arsenio
    • Photo Gallery
    • Theatrical Trailer
    • Digital Copy

Conclusion
    Like Trading Places, this film holds up well so many years later even if some of the make-up effects and jokes are a bit dated. Maybe I’m partial because I liked them in the 1980s and I’m a fan of Murphy’s work. Regardless, if you see this in the bargain bin it’s an enjoyable experience.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Belle,y and Ameche have a great cameo, playing their roles from Trading Places
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Belle,y and Ameche have a great cameo, playing their roles from Trading Places
    Yes they do..."We're back!"
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I remember renting this (VHS) just after it was in theaters. I also saw it on broadcast television, and that may be the last time I have watched it.

Funny film and Eddie Murphy at his finest. Also, it's always good to see James Earl Jones on screen. Thanks, David.

Great movies. Thanks for the review.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Owner-Publisher Jerry Del Colliano's Avatar
    When you think of trash - think of Akeem