Game of Thrones: Season One (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  GOT14K.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  29.7 KB

Plot
    Based on George R. R. Martin’s fantasy series of books, Game of Thrones debuted on HBO in 2011 and became an instant classic for the iconic cable network. The has gone on for seven seasons now and the eighth and final season will debut on HBO sometime next year.

Season one is based on “Song of Fire and Ice” and sets up the tale by introducing the various houses vying for the Iron Throne. Eddard Stark, Lord and Master of Winterfell, is the lead protagonist for the season and hails from the northern most city in the lands. When he’s chosen by his old friend King Robert to serve as the king’s Hand his honor won’t allow him to refuse. Being King isn’t all that Robert thought it would be when he ascended to the throne 17 years ago, but with Stark at his side again he hopes for a brighter future, Good luck with that with that scheming bitch at your side who just happens to be your wife.

My Thoughts
    It took me three tries to get through the first season of this show due to my wife’s constant bitching about the gratuitous sex, violence, and nudity. She really loved the medieval period sets and costumes, but she jus couldn’t get over the former complaints. What you quickly learn is that the graphic nature of the show is depicting the society’s low morality—which made Eddard Stark such an outlier—and how it’s really part of the storytelling. With that said, this is arguably one of the best TV shows ever and the money HBO spends on each episode definitely comes out in the elaborate sets, excellent acting, and massive battle scenes, especially in future seasons.

I knew it was just a matter of time that HBO would release this in 4K and while it looks good, it may be a slight setback from the excellent looking Blu-rays. Sure, fine detail is a smidge better, especially with facial pores and fine details in costumes, but any shot with CGI looks fake—a not uncommon occurrence with upscaled 4K presentations. This film was shot in 2K and all the special effects are done that way was well.

I reviewed the Atmos tracks when they debuted on the Steelbook sets a couple of years ago and they are well done. The overhead effects are used to provide some additional ambiance to the various scenes and fortunately, the dialog is always legible.

Video 8.5/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Audio commentaries on seven episodes
    • Character Profiles
    • Anatomy of an Episode
    • Making Game of Thrones
    • From the Book to the Screen
    • Creating the Show Open
    • Creating the Dothraki Language
    • The Night’s Watch
    • Histories and Lore
    • Cast Auditions
    • Digital Copy of Season One

Conclusion
    I’ve become a huge fan of this show and am even in the process of reading the books, which gives you a deeper background on the characters and a slightly different telling of the story than this first-class TV show from HBO. Once could argue that the studio is fleecing their fans with the plethora of home video releases, but the fans seem to continue to gobble them up and I for one am happy to see the show in 4K, despite some minor issues I have with the upconversion. If you haven’t seen the show before and have a 4K TV, definitely pick this set up—you won’t regret it. Highly recommended.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by David Vaughn; 06-09-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I have always said that this series is the best that's currently on television and one of the best ever. The books are a whole new level of storytelling. Although the HBO series does the book series justice, there's so much more that's left out.

Any serious GoT fan owes it to themselves to visit both. As far as the 4K release, if it reveals the CGI too much, I would rather stay with the 1080p versions. Personally, I would like to keep Oz behind the curtain.

Thanks for the review, David.

Thanks for the review. I will have to check the series out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    Thanks for the review. I will have to check the series out.
    If you tend to binge watch during the summer, the Game of Thrones series would be a good choice.

yeah, I heard it is good. Just a matter of finding the time.

I will wait for the entire series to finish.. Will get the 1080p box set.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.