Pacific Rim Uprising (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  Uprising.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  37.3 KB

Plot
    John Boyega (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) stars as the rebellious Jake Pentecost, a once-promising Jaeger pilot whose legendary father gave his life to secure humanity’s victory against the monstrous Kaiju. Jake has since abandoned his training only to become caught up in a criminal underworld. But when an even more unstoppable threat is unleashed to tear through our cities and bring the world to its knees, he is given one last chance to live up to his father’s legacy. Jake is joined by gifted rival pilot Lambert (The Fate of the Furious’ Scott Eastwood), 15-year-old Jaeger hacker Amara (newcomer Cailee Spaeny), returning veterans Charlie Day (“It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia”), Rinko Kikuchi (Pacific Rim), Burn Gorman (The Dark Knight Rises) and a talented crew of fiercely young cadets. The international cast also includes Tian Jing (Kong: Skull Island) and Adria Arjona (“Emerald City”). Rising up to become the most powerful defense force to ever walk the earth, they set course for a spectacular all-new adventure on a towering scale.

My Thoughts
    I really liked the first Pacific Rim but I didn’t expect much from this given the tepid reviews. It turned out to be better than I thought, but still not a great film—although it is entertaining. Boyega does quite well in the lead role and he shows to have pretty good comedic timing. In fact, it wouldn’t surprise me to see him starring in a romantic comedy at some point given how he did here. My biggest gripe with the film is the action/fight scenes go on too long and they reminded me too much of The Transformers, which isn’t a good thing. The ending sets up a third film, which will hopefully complete the trilogy.

Video 10/10 (MVC)

Audio 9/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Director Steven S. DeKnight
    • Hall of Heroes - John Boyega takes us through the awesome weaponry and cutting-edge enhancements of the latest generation of Jaegers featured in the film.
    • Bridge to Uprising - The cast and crew discuss how the world of Pacific Rim has changed in the ten years since the events of the original film.
    • The Underworld of Uprising - Humanity won the Kaiju War, but every war has casualties. John Boyega and Steven S. DeKnight give a tour of the coastal “Relief Zones.”
    • Becoming Cadets - Step into the Shatterdome, and learn the grueling physical and mental preparation required of the young actors who portrayed the PPDC cadets.
    • Unexpected Villain - Learn the secret reason that turned one of the most beloved heroes of the original film into a villain obsessed with humanity’s destruction.
    • Next Level Jaegers - The cast and crew discuss the amazing technological advances of the Jaeger program in the years since the events of the original film.
    • I Am Scrapper - Actress Cailee Spaeny shares the backstory of Scrapper, Amara’s incredible self-built Jaeger and its many unique abilities.
    • Going Mega - Filmmakers take us through the technical and creative challenges of creating the most deadly threat the Pan Pacific Defense Corp has ever faced: the Mega Kaiju!
    • Secrets of Shao - Meet the woman behind Shao Industries. Actress Tian Jing shares her insights on the enigmatic tech tycoon Liwen Shao.
    • Mako Returns - Actress Rinko Kikuchi and director Steven S. DeKnight explain the significance of Mako Mori’s return and her importance to the events of Pacific Rim Uprising.
    • Feature Commentary with Director Steven S. DeKnight
    • Blu-ray + Digital Copy

Conclusion
    While not a great film by any stretch, it has its moments mainly due to Boyega’s likability. Eastwood does a commendable job along with the rest of the supporting cast, but the script itself is rather shallow and the fight sequences go on much too long. On the plus side, the presentation is very good, but I wish the LFE went a bit deeper like the first film. Give it a rent.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I didn't see the first one, but it seems like it's the better of the two.

Thanks for the review, David. I'll see if they are available for rent since we've officially reached the summer binge-watching season.

I didn't like the first one much. The big robot monster fights all took place at night in the rain, making it hard to tell what was happening, and the robots moved so slow it wasn't that exciting.

Looks like they overcorrected and now we have sunlit fights with super-agile robots. I agree with David that it looks and feels too much like Transformers. I'll check it out eventually, probably just skip to the big action sequences.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    I didn't like the first one much. The big robot monster fights all took place at night in the rain, making it hard to tell what was happening, and the robots moved so slow it wasn't that exciting.

Looks like they overcorrected and now we have sunlit fights with super-agile robots. I agree with David that it looks and feels too much like Transformers. I'll check it out eventually, probably just skip to the big action sequences.
    Brandon, Boyega is worth watching because he has some pretty funny lines in the film. Just check your brain before hitting "play."
    David Vaughn

Watched it and was OK.

Liked Boyega WAY better here than in Star Wars. The young girl was good too. Scott Eastwood not so much. He acts like he's in a Western or something. (Just remembered his dad is Clint, so that makes sense.)

But for a movie that's supposedly all about giant robots fighting giant monsters, we don't see very much of that at all. It's all robots vs. robots until the final reel. And nothing looks right, physically, with the way the robots move. Like I mentioned above, too agile, too quick. Doesn't look right.

Action is pretty numbing and very Transformers-esque. I actually was bored during the action scenes and preferred the character moments.

But overall it's just OK.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon,

Couldn't agree more regarding Boyega here versus Star Wars, especially in The Last Jedi, where his part was completely useless.
    David Vaughn

I went back and watch watched the first one last weekend. I didn't like it when it came out, but after seeing part two I like it MUCH better.

Del Toro's decisions now make perfect sense. He knew what he was doing.

One thing that almost kills the whole movie for me is the female lead. She's just terrible, awkward and wooden, and I can barely understand her.

Still, the first one feels like a film directed by a human who loved making it. Uprising feels like it was directed by a machine programmed by a committee whose sole goal was to ape whatever is currently popular in order to turn the biggest possible profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Uprising feels like it was directed by a machine programmed by a committee whose sole goal was to ape whatever is currently popular in order to turn the biggest possible profit.
    Michael Bay?
    David Vaughn

Worse.

Someone apparently trying to out-Bay Michael Bay.