Netflix Testing Out Pricier New Ultra Plan at $16.99 per Month

from variety,

"The Ultra plans cost $16.99 per month and is being tested in two versions. One offers four Ultra HD streams, while the existing $13.99 Premium plan would drop from four to two UHD streams. In the second offer, both Premium and Ultra customers would have access to four concurrent Ultra HD streams but only Ultra customers would have access to high dynamic range (HDR) content, which provides more vibrant color reproduction and higher contrast."
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

NF lost me years ago when they stopped carrying "boutique" (i.e. htf indie classics) discs. It may be my age, but I don't do streaming. I'll gladly accept a file that I have a physical copy of instead of a disc, but I don't stream, & don't currently plan to.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

I spent the 4th at a buddy's house. He has Netflix and a new LG 4K OLED display.

He showed me the new (to me) Netflix interface and we wound up watching Guardians of the Galaxy II in 1080p, upscaled. I must admit that it was pretty impressive. It was so much better than my previous experience with the service.

Of course, he has 100MB service and mine is only 15 MP, which is the fastest that AT&T has in my area. I would seriously consider a subscription but fear that my ISP is going to suck the fun out of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I would seriously consider a subscription but fear that my ISP is going to suck the fun out of the experience.
    I think AT&T has already diminished the DirecTV service, but you're right, more changes are coming. The smaller the company the better the service. There's 200Mb service at the entrance to my sub-division but Spectrum won't service my house since it's more than 1000' from the existing POS.
    Richard

200MB service?!!? Man, I would settle for a solid 50MB.

Just looking at Netflix requirements, you need 25MB service for UHD streaming. I would be out of luck even if I had a UHD display.

Funny, I just canceled Netflix yesterday. Original content is 99% garbage. Hardly any movies anymore, and they cycle through them instead of giving you a big library to choose from. And of course, when new stuff gets added, other stuff gets taken away.

As for quality- when I watch YouTube or use Amazon Prime Video I get rock solid 1080p. Netflix, rarely. It's lower the resolution to SD fairly regularly. Plus, even their "1080p" movies are compressed and few have 5.1 audio.

I can't justify the $12 or whatever it is for what had essentially become OfficeFlix for me, cause about all I use it for is to watch The Office.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    Funny, I just canceled Netflix yesterday. Original content is 99% garbage. Hardly any movies anymore, and they cycle through them instead of giving you a big library to choose from. And of course, when new stuff gets added, other stuff gets taken away.

As for quality- when I watch YouTube or use Amazon Prime Video I get rock solid 1080p. Netflix, rarely. It's lower the resolution to SD fairly regularly. Plus, even their "1080p" movies are compressed and few have 5.1 audio.

I can't justify the $12 or whatever it is for what had essentially become OfficeFlix for me, cause about all I use it for is to watch The Office.
    Man i am so starved for 4k content (early adopter blues, even though its been over two years with 4K UHD tv's out there) that i pay for the 4K and would probably pay the extra for the HDR/Dolby Vision. Some of their shows are gorgeous in 4K Dolby Vision (Godless, Stranger Things, Mindhunter and Marco Polo). 4K show that looks great but is not Dolby Vision is Dark (German sci-fi). These shows not only look great but I consider the content good to great. I had never seen Breaking Bad, yes I was the one, and now am watching it in 4K on Netflix.

The movies, sans Okja, have been mostly trash.

And theatrical movies like Star Wars TLJ, Rogue One, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 do look quite good in 1080p but not nearly as good as the bluray, to me anyway.

On Amazon Prime, only show worth a damn IMO is The Man in the High Castle. Waiting for the new Jack Ryan show. They do however have the first couple of seasons of The Expanse and I am rewatching it because it looks great in 4k!

They also have 4k UHD theatrical movies. Not a huge list though.

Quote Originally Posted by NoUDont View Post
    And theatrical movies like Star Wars TLJ, Rogue One, Guardians of the Galaxy 2 do look quite good in 1080p but not nearly as good as the bluray, to me anyway.
    You aren't alone. As of yet I don't know of any streaming option that delivers true BD quality, much less 4K. By that I mean if it's a 20gb BD file, you are getting that exact file streamed to you with zero compression or cut corners somewhere. (Not that I've made much effort.)

For the movies you aren't willing to compromise on, best bet is still to buy the BD, rip it and forget it. Just don't tell Jerry.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.