Thread: LG CineBeam

LG CineBeam

Not every day you see a new style of projector: https://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-HU80KA-projector

The LG CineBeam just came out, street price is $2699.99. I've never seen one quite like it.

4K & HDR10. Uh-oh, I can feel my wallet getting lighter.

The only potential dealbreaker is that its laser. That could be good or bad. Dolby Cinema (Christie) laser projection is amazing. IMAX (Barco) laser sucks. I hope it's like the Dolby, but the Sony laser projector I had was awful, so we'll see.

Also worth noting this looks like a very 'family-friendly' projector. They play it up quite a bit in the marketing, plus the look of it, size, the portability. (It even has a retractable cord like an old vacuum cleaner to make it easy to move around.)
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, I think you made a mistake. The link you posted leads to an overpriced, yet stylish, kitchen trashcan.

Name:  LG HU80KA.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  39.4 KB

Laser is the way to go once they get a few generations into the technology to perfect it. It lasts a really long time, no heat build-up, and is infinitely controllable.

I wonder why they chose that form factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Brandon, I think you made a mistake. The link you posted leads to an overpriced, yet stylish, kitchen trashcan.
    LOL

Hilarious, and you're right. Pretty sure this is meant to be unobtrusive and easy to setup and move around. It's got a carrying handle and retractable cord for god's sake.

This is actually very smart. I was talking to Jerry recently about how one of the biggest barriers for the average person to get into HT and A/V in general is being wary of having to setup all the stuff. I told him the story of The Projector I Couldn't Give Away, because nobody wanted to deal with installing it. Really-
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    LOL

Hilarious, and you're right. Pretty sure this is meant to be unobtrusive and easy to setup and move around. It's got a carrying handle and retractable cord for god's sake.

This is actually very smart. I was talking to Jerry recently about how one of the biggest barriers for the average person to get into HT and A/V in general is being wary of having to setup all the stuff. I told him the story of The Projector I Couldn't Give Away, because nobody wanted to deal with installing it. Really-
    I would have had a projector back in the CRT days if it were not for the weight and size concerns, so I get this new concept.

The great thing about this design is that it's portable and the auto keystone adjustment makes it very setup friendly. Looks like it also has several different ways that it can be installed, or not. I am interested in seeing how it sells and gets reviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post

The great thing about this design is that it's portable and the auto keystone adjustment makes it very setup friendly.
    YES.

And understanding keystone and how to use it is pretty crucial if you plan on getting/installing a projector in your home. The auto keystone (if it works) would take away a major pain point in the installation prep and process. (Of course in a perfect world it wouldn't be needed, but the trade-off of sacrificing a few pixels so your entire room doesn't need to be redesigned around the projector is likely worth it to 99.99% of folks.)

Incidentally, that 720p Sony mini laser projector I had awhile back claimed 'auto texture correction adjustment' or something like that. The idea was you could project it onto a bumpy wall, or the like and the projector would warp the image so it appeared correct to the viewer. A bold promise that it did not even remotely deliver.

Jerry, any plans to review this?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    And understanding keystone and how to use it is pretty crucial if you plan on getting/installing a projector in your home. The auto keystone (if it works) would take away a major pain point in the installation prep and process. (Of course in a perfect world it wouldn't be needed, but the trade-off of sacrificing a few pixels so your entire room doesn't need to be redesigned around the projector is likely worth it to 99.99% of folks.)

Jerry, any plans to review this?
    Keystone does degrade the image a bit, but I can't ever remember not using it. I don't know about anyone else, but I have always had an issue getting my ceiling-mounted projector perfectly aligned. I suppose that's why I'm not an installer.

Yes, I too would love to see a review of this projector.

A good friend of mine was all set to buy a projector until I reminded him how dark a movie theater had to be. He had no light control since one entire wall was glass.
    JR