Ant-Man and the Wasp A non spoiler review

I just saw Ant Man and the Wasp in Imax and 3D. This is a fun, lighthearted movie and, like the first one, borders on being a satire of the genre. I really enjoyed it! The special effects are used effectively and often with great humor. Wait till you see Ant Man go to school. I guess every pun intended, this is a little movie compared to the Avengers, just sit back, get some popcorn (no soda, you don't want to go to the bathroom at any time) and enjoy.

This is a NON SPOILER review that will only reveal what you will see in the coming attractions. The movie does refer to Captain America Civil war, which I will briefly mention, and to Avengers Infinity War which, not yet out on DVD so I will not discuss it. BUT DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE UNTIL YOU HAVE SEEN AVENGERS INFINITY WAR. No spoilers, so I can’t tell you why.

The Plot first reveals that Scott, the Ant Man, is under house arrest for violating international law in Captain America Civil War. That doesn’t stop Henry Pym (the original Ant-Man) and his daughter, Hope, from recruiting him to help rescued the lost Janet Van Dyne, Hank’s wife, who we learned was missing in the first movie.

Along with the F.B.I. there are two other adversaries that are after Pym’s technology. We get clever, imaginative and funny chase scenes and images. The surround sound is good and the music is mediocre. But the real stars of this movie are the stars.

Evangeline Lilly is the absolute standout here. The movie could have been called The Wasp and Ant-Man. She really runs the show and, frankly, is spectacular. Paul Rudd is also perfect and hats off to him for helping Ms. Lilly shine. Michael Douglas has a larger role here than in the last movie and is also terrific. As is Laurence Fishburne, and especially Michelle Pfeiffer, one of my biggest screen crushes.

That Michelle Pfeiffer, is in the movie tells you that Janet is too, but she is immediately seen in a flashback. That is important because with all the super heroing going on, this is a movie about families, husbands and wives and fathers and daughters. That is a theme that may even bring a tear to your eyes.

Please stay for the last two scenes during the credits. Honest to gosh, when the end is played the person in front of me yelled “NO WAY!!!!!’

The Wasp was introduced in the tenth Ant-Man story in 1963. She was given the four worst jobs in comic books:

1. A sidekick (Never appreciated always in trouble)
    2. A girlfriend (Always ignored, always in danger and always kidnapped)
    3. A Filler (She had her own five page feature, never drawn by a top artist)
    4. Comic Relief (Inappropriate funny jokes and the character is not taken seriously)

She survived and got a movie.
    Name:  TTA Wasp tales.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  100.2 KB
    Last edited by Lefisc; 07-07-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    I've loved Lilly ever since LOST. Great actress and VERY easy on the eyes. Great review Barry....hopefully I'll get out to see this sometime next week.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. Will check this movie out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.