1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

UHD Home Theater Makeover, in Progress

Name:  IMG_0315.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  87.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0306.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  82.1 KB

From the top
    Marantz AV8802A AV Pre-Processor
    Sony UHD Player (Borrowed from Family Room upstairs)
    Oppo 93: Move to exercise area where it will get even less use.
    DirecTV Genie
    APC Constant Voltage/Surge Protection
    APC 2000W UPS
    Air-Filter
    Outlaw 7X200W Amplifier

To the right of Sanus Rack
    LG OLED65E8PUA TV – Picture is awesome

1st Picture is mis-leading due to frame around the picture
    2nd Picture gives a better perspective, but the angles drive you crazy
    I’m not sure with all the bending and standing behind the rack, that my back will ever recover.
    Lessons learned:
    Never have an equipment rack in middle of a room. If necessary, mount it flush in a wall.
    Don’t try to replace a photographer.
    If you do try and replace a photographer, buy a multi-degree-of-freedom rigid tripod.
    Things to do:
    Calibrate the Pre-Pro and TV
    Wire Dressing
    Buy a new Panasonic UHD Player when available
    Add blank plate to cover hole, after new player purchase
    ***OR***
    Build a new house and start over with HT contractor & .
    Last edited by k0rww; 07-07-2018 at 05:01 AM.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    Build a new house and start over with HT contractor & .
    Now you're talking.

Nice theater upgrades, Richard. Is this the pre/pro you were wanting?

Nice job Richard.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Hi Tracy,

Yes, that's the Pre-Pro I wanted. When the Marantz AV8805 was released at $4500, the price of the AV8802A was dropped from $4000 to $2500. The AV8802A is likely to drop again in price since I couldn't find it on the Marantz's website. I thought you might comment on my photographer comments. I had you in mind when I wrote the comments. Everytime I moved the tripod, one of its legs would slip down a little and ruin the picture.
    Richard

Gosh, it looks great. I am looking for an affordable 4K projector. I have a JVC but they haven't come out with a real 4k yet.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    I thought you might comment on my photographer comments. I had you in mind when I wrote the comments. Everytime I moved the tripod, one of its legs would slip down a little and ruin the picture.
    Grab a Bogen (aka Manfroto) with a grip-action adjustable head. They will hold any camera you mount on it and the grip head means you can adjust it with one hand.

Name:  grip action tripod head.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  30.9 KB

Now that most photographers have gone to 35mm body-sized digital SLR cameras, I bet you can pick one up for a fraction that I paid for the pair that I bought. It will last you literally forever and double as a home defense weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Gosh, it looks great. I am looking for an affordable 4K projector. I have a JVC but they haven't come out with a real 4k yet.
    Barry:
    You might not think it looks good, if you could see the back half. Anything I hadn't already moved out of the HT that didn't belong, I moved to the back half. My next step is to calibrate the two Ultra-13 via the Pre-pro.

Good luck with affordable.
    Richard

Great room. Looks great. Good job!
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Tracy,

I looked on Amazon for a short time and found one that look close to your figure but it was $270. I should stop window shopping, I still have a Panasonic UHD player to buy. My latest major upgrade to the HT is going to be my last, baring a major out of warranty failure.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll just stick to taking handheld pictures and save the money.
    Richard

I would look at Ebay or Craig's List if I were looking for another one. Unless you run over it with a steamroller, it's hard to damage a Bogen tripod.

I think mine are Model 3011 legs. The head I like is the 3265 but there are others that work great as well. The difference is the 3265 uses a quick release plate (make sure you get one) and has the grip that you squeeze to move the camera. The standard heads don't use the quick release and there are two separate adjustments for positioning the camera. Not a bad way to go and still rock solid.

There's also a fluid head that is a smoother pan and tilt and a handle that a lot of video guys like.