Rampage (UHD Blu-ray) review

Name:  rampage.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  30.0 KB

Plot
    In 1993, a breakthrough new technology gave scientists a path to treat incurable diseases through genetic editing. In 2016, due to its potential for misuse, the U.S. Intelligence Community designated genetic editing a “Weapon of Mass Destruction and Proliferation.”

Johnson stars as primatologist Davis Okoye, a man who keeps people at a distance but shares an unshakable bond with George, the extraordinarily intelligent, incredibly rare albino silverback gorilla who has been in his care since he rescued the young orphan from poachers. But a rogue genetic experiment gone awry mutates this gentle ape into a raging creature of enormous size.

To make matters worse, it’s soon discovered there are other similarly altered animals. As these newly created super creatures tear across North America, destroying everything in their path, Okoye teams with discredited geneticist Kate Caldwell (Naomie Harris) to secure an antidote, fighting his way through an ever-changing battlefield, not only to halt a global catastrophe but to save the fearsome creature that was once his friend.

My Thoughts
    My good friend Ralph Potts warned me that this movie was horrible, so I knew what to expect going in. That being said, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the first act as they set the story up making it seem somewhat plausible because when you mess with Mother Nature, she can pay you back in ways you never imagined.

Despite its decent first act, once the government tries to move George to a secure facility, the film goes off the rails and the believability factor goes completely out the window. Sure, it’s a check your brain kind of movie, but even a brain-dead Zombie would say “WTF” to the airplane crash—which takes forever to actually go down—and the battle in Chicago goes on way too long and is so laden with CGI that its completely laughable.

Video 9/10 (MVC)

Audio 9.5/10 (Dolby Atmos)

Special Features:

• Not a Game Anymore
    • Gag Reel
    • Deleted Scenes
    • Rampage
    • Trio of Destruction
    • Attack on Chicago
    • Bringing George to Life
    • Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    There are some positives to this movie. First, Dwayne Johnson does his usual bang-up job, the movie starts out decent enough, and the relationship between Johnson and George has heart. Unfortunately, it goes off the rails about 30 minutes in and can never correct its course. Sure, the audio and video are quite good and if you don’t mind spending a couple bucks on a Redbox rental and you like these types of movies, you may like it better than me.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Greetings,

Sorry buddy. Yeah, this one is kind of tough to get through. Great review Dave.
    Regards,

Ralph C.Potts
    AVSForum Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph P. View Post
    Greetings,

Sorry buddy. Yeah, this one is kind of tough to get through. Great review Dave.
    Thanks Ralph....for the comments AND the warning beforehand.
    David Vaughn

Many thanks David and Ralph for taking one for the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

David, mark the day.

I 100% agree with you.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    David, mark the day.

I 100% agree with you.
    About time!
    David Vaughn