Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

No more Oppo 203 waiting list.

I received my notice of the availability for an UDP-203 on Monday afternoon. Late Tuesday morning, 7/10, I attempted to order an UDP-203 and they were sold out.
    OPPO customer service informed me that no more UDP-203 waiting lists would be available.
    I can't find anyone to blame.
    I'll just pretend that Panasonic was my 1st choice all along.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    I can't find anyone to blame.
    I'll just pretend that Panasonic was my 1st choice all along.
    Well, there's power in positive thinking. Go with that.

Rats

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    Well, there's power in positive thinking. Go with that.
    I didn't even get a notice!!

Are the 205's gone forever also? I don't get the new owner's discontinuing a product that has this staggeringly high demand.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    Are the 205's gone forever also? I don't get the new owner's discontinuing a product that has this staggeringly high demand.
    My thoughts exactly.
    Maybe the company in China shut down production and it's too costly to start backup.
    It appears that Oppo's management may have misjudged the demand or it wasn't worth the effort for a small number of units to be sold. There's always two sides to a story.
    Rest in Peace Oppodigital
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    I didn't even get a notice!!
    You have someone to blame, I can only blame myself, which I refuse to do.
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by moomoomoomoo View Post
    Is Oppo under new ownership? I hadn't read that part but admit that I haven't dug very deep.

It was my understanding that the company's shareholders looked at the Oppo Digital part of the business and decided it wasn't worth continuing. Not everybody has a Blu-ray player or is into home theater. Of those, very few see the need to buy an Oppo when it's easily 2X -3X the price of most Blu-ray players on the market.

On the other hand, you would be hard-pressed to find an adult that doesn't have a mobile phone, and Oppo sells a ton of them in the Asian market.

I certainly don't like that they stopped making the best universal disc player on the planet, but they didn't ask my opinion.

Just got an email from Oppo offering a refurb 203. Seems legit so I ordered one.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    Just got an email from Oppo offering a refurb 203. Seems legit so I ordered one.
    JR
    Good for you!
    I believe that it's legitimate since I had to chose between the new or refurbished. Only one choice was allowed and each choice had designated URLs with my ID. Oppo tried to make it as fair as possible.
    Richard

I predict the Oppo players will go down in history like Kuros, with people holding onto them for long after their intended life cycle is over. I think when something is so impressive to you in its day it can be hard to accept that something else that has come out is better. And that you don't have it.

I mean, eventually something will come out that's better than Oppo UDP, right? And at the same price point. Right? Soon?
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.