Audio Shananigans

An interesting article on some of shananigans going on in the audio industry

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6236
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/Alphas/Mites,Center:PSB Image 8C/100C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8

I fully believe that there are some AV products that are marketed with over-hyped and over-promised results. These usually are centered around cables of some sort or cable accessories like those little wooden stands that hold your cables off the floor (they do look neat and maybe that's the point).

Cables can and sometimes do change the sound of your speakers depending on the materials used. However, is the change better? Only you can make that decision when you put them into your system.

Personally, I go for well-built cables that are offered at a reasonable price and there are some cable manufacturers out there who offer exactly that.

I was invited to an event in NYC aboutbfive years ago. They had speakers thatbcost a half a milion dollars. Briefly, they sounded terrible, they has a rasp whenever someone sang or spoke.

Yes I was told but don’t the trombone sound great.

They then put on a movie. The man running the event said that if the speakers were this good you did not need a center channel and that the two speakers were better than anything. In assure you they were not. So much was missing. And I mentioned that too.

I was never invited back. Nor do any of those people actually emailed me anymore. I was told that I was wrong that speakers like that, ones thst cost so much money must sound great. They seem to be listening to the price tag and not the music or the sound. But they were insulting to me.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    I fully believe that there are some AV products that are marketed with over-hyped and over-promised results. These usually are centered around cables of some sort or cable accessories like those little wooden stands that hold your cables off the floor (they do look neat and maybe that's the point).

Cables can and sometimes do change the sound of your speakers depending on the materials used. However, is the change better? Only you can make that decision when you put them into your system.

Personally, I go for well-built cables that are offered at a reasonable price and there are some cable manufacturers out there who offer exactly that.
    I personally just learned my lesson trying to buy cheap subwoofer cables (RG6) from Monoprice. Turns out Monoprice may be great for cheap HDMI cables/etc. but apparently their sub cables suck and are known for cold solder joints/etc. I bumped up the price a bit and grabbed one of SVS's sub cables. Not cheap, but they're about the same price as "mid-range" cables I've bought at big box stores except 3x the quality. They do publish some specs like capacitance and such but all I really cared was they were a reasonable price and work well. I would never buy any of the super expensive and/or overpriced cables (Monster/etc.). I've been reading these forums too long and know better on that stuff.

No kidding I just looked and Best buy has a same length cable as what I just bought with a similar looking jacketing etc. and it's like 2.3x the cost. Even better is this little bit in the specs. Say what?!?...........

Nitrogen-injected insulation
    Minimizes timing errors and soundstage smearing.
    Panasonic TC-P60VT60
    Marantz NR-1606
    Velodyne CHT series satellites/center
    SVS PB-2000
    Sony UBP-X800
    XBox 360
    Logitech Harmony 950
    Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Nitrogen-injected insulation
    Minimizes timing errors and soundstage smearing.
    Is that like using nitrogen to fill your tires? There are a few tire places near my advertising that but I haven't checked into the actual problem it solves.

I usually shoot for the middle ground with cables. I bought some Monster speaker wire back in the late 80's, from a local dealer. It was for some longer runs to my front soundstage. It was stranded 12 gauge at the very least maybe even 10. It did cost more than lamp cord from the local Wal-Mart which was my only local option. It is rated for in-wall use near electrical, which is the main reason I bought it. I still use that wire today with my two-channel setup.

I would NEVER buy a fancy power cable but I do like nicely made interconnects. Nothing crazy, but something that is solidly built. I current use Monster interconnects, but only because they came with a used amp that I bought several years ago. However, I would consider buying them or something similar if I didn't already have them.

As for Monoprice, I bought one of their 35 foot HDMI cables with Redmire tech built in. I needed it to run over my drop ceiling, to my projector. It's much smaller than the cable that came with the projector and solved my signal issues.