Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Went and saw this and just got home. In a word--Outstanding! Wow...the last 4 MI movies have all set the bar so high other franchises are going to have a hard time keeping up. I saw it in my local JBX theater and it was well worth the premium price. Definitely go and see this one!!!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Nice. Thanks for the review. Will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I also enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Honestly, I thought this franchise was done, but they've outdone themselves yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by EthanPal View Post
    I also enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Honestly, I thought this franchise was done, but they've outdone themselves yet again.
    Welcome to the forum. After #2 I thought it was done, but J.J. Abrams breathed new life into it and it's been on a roll ever since!
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    After #2 I thought it was done, but J.J. Abrams breathed new life into it and it's been on a roll ever since!
    MI II may well be the last one that I have seen, I forget which. I think I still have MI I and MI II on HD DVD somewhere. I'll have to do some digging.

Anyone need a Toshiba XA2 and about 40 or so movies?

Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Saw it twice here. Once in Dolby Cinema, once in IMAX.

The ultra rare occasion I like IMAX a little better because of the switch to large format for the last 20m or so. Made that chase really amazing.

Part 7 is already in production in case you haven't heard. No surprise, but Mr. Cruise can only pull this kind of stuff off for so long.

Remember the 4th one, where they had set up Jeremy Renner as the sort-of successor to Ethan Hunt? Yeah, that didn't work. (Didn't work for the Bourne movies either. Sorry, Jeremy, you are only Hawkeye now.)

When Tom Cruise quits making these, that's that. I honestly don't think there's another human being (much less actor) that could pull off everything a movie like this requires.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, You made some very good points. But they didn’t stop making James Bond movies when Sean Connery quit and no one thought he could be replaced. David just gave reviews were Alec Baldwin quit and he was replaced by Harrison Ford. They made a lot of superman movies without Christopher Reeve.

Yet, as you mentioned, there have been a lot of failures too. I would like to see Mission impossible as a less action adventure movie and more Like the TV show which was a puzzle and an enigma with political intrique. I bet after Tom Cruise leaves it may take a few years but there will be somebody else.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    Brandon, You made some very good points. But they didn’t stop making James Bond movies when Sean Connery quit and no one thought he could be replaced. David just gave reviews were Alec Baldwin quit and he was replaced by Harrison Ford. They made a lot of superman movies without Christopher Reeve.
    True, but those movies were more about the character, not the star. None of the Bond actors or Superman actors carried the WHOLE movie like Cruise does with these. With those, Bond and Superman are well-known and have been around. With MI, Ethan Hunt may as well be named Ethan Cruise. And none did their own stunts, like Cruise does here, which is 90% of what makes them so amazing, at least in terms of the action setpieces. And few people are simply as likable as him in a role like this, where SO MUCH of the movie simply depends on charisma, and not so much the character or even the plot.

I was a bit hyperbolic before, but when you take all the factors into account, I don't think anyone could pull these movies off, at least not on the level Cruise does. Sure, someone will try, but the whole MI concept would have to be re-invented* to make it work without Cruise. You ain't gonna see Ben Affleck hanging off a cargo jet anytime soon. (Unless it's in front of a green screen.)

*Maybe not re-invented, but de-invented. Make it like the old show like you said. I would also like to see a movie more in line with where MI started, but then when you think about it, pretty much every episode relied on them using their special masks to impersonate someone. Gets old after awhile, and of course isn't very believable. Which is OK, but it wouldn't make for a great feature film, let alone 6 of them.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Eberhart View Post
    You ain't gonna see Ben Affleck hanging off a cargo jet anytime soon. (Unless it's in front of a green screen.)
    I don't know...maybe put a bottle of Jack out there for him to grab on to and you may be surprised! (Was that cruel?)
    David Vaughn