Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mission Impossible Fallout a non spoiler review

Don’t drink liquids before watch this movie. You don’t want to miss a minute.

During the height of the James Bond Era in media there were many TV shows and movies about secret agents and spies. They usually consisted of great personalities (I Spy) or action and adventure stories, such as the Man from Uncle.

Mission Impossible was my favorite for the first three years, with Martin Landau and Barbara Bain and a bit later with Leonard Nimoy. The show was not of the above. We never got to know the characters and there was little action an adventure. The stars of the show were the writers who, each week, presented an enigma, like a murder mystery that you had watch closely and figure out what the hell was going on.

The show presented complicated plans that went off with great timing and, like the other spy movies often used technology in unpredictable ways.

You may have liked the previous Mission Impossible movies, but they did NOT have the flavor of the original, they became mostly action and adventure movies with Tom Cruise as the star, playing a James Bond type character.

I saw the new MI today in wide screen Imax, which is the way to see this movie. There were as many as twenty people in the theatre. It was an incredible ride and really enjoyed the movie and I hope you get to see it on the biggest screen possible. (No spoilers so I cannot exactly tell you why) The surround sound, including the music was very effective and actually helped move the plot.

This move is the closest to the original MI. That is, while it is an action and adventure movie, there are so many things going on you can’t go to the bathroom. You have to pay attention. Great credit goes to the writer who moved the plot like a bunch of dominos. Although complicated you get to follow it easily because one scene leads into the next.

The cast is fine, Tom Cruise. is getting a bit older and Henry Cavill is the newcomer. My only complaint is that in this movie, Cruise plays too much of a Superman: super speed, super endurance, super agility and invulnerability. It’s the type of invulnerability that stars of successful series, including James Bond, have. They take risks because they know they will around to watch the end credits.

The movie is action packed from the beginning to the end and a fun ride.

This post will self destruct in thirty seconds.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Barry, we must have cross posted. I enjoyed the hell out of this movie...it's simply fantastic from beginning to end. Also, all the female characters are simply beautiful and extremely easy on the eyes
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Oh gosh, I am sorry Dave. I was on my Ipad and didn't see your post. Rebecca Ferguson is a standout, I loved her since the last movie. David, I left the movie five hours ago and I am still out of breath. Great Fun. And you are right, its sets a new standard for action and adventure. But I loved that it made sense. After seeing Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman, I am glad Cavill got what was coming to him!
    Last edited by Lefisc; 07-27-2018 at 08:56 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    After seeing Man of Steel and Batman vs. Superman, I am glad Cavill got what was coming to him!
    ROFL

I totally agree about Rebecca Ferguson as well...I think I'd pay the price of the movie just to see her read the phone book for two hours!
    David Vaughn

BIG SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

David just two things about the movie. Was there any real suspense at the end for you? Did you really think two nuclear bombs were going off?
    And everyone got beaten up, thrown threw windows, motorcycle crashes, several punches to the face, several hits by wooden or metal bars and even a hanging. No bruises, no cuts, no black eyes out, everyone has their teeth and their hair combed. No one limps for more than 5 seconds, except for Cruise and the very end. People do not recover from all that that fast and without medical help.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Thanks for your non-spoiler review. This one is on my list to see, but I will likely have to wait until it hit Blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    BIG SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!

David just two things about the movie. Was there any real suspense at the end for you? Did you really think two nuclear bombs were going off?
    And everyone got beaten up, thrown threw windows, motorcycle crashes, several punches to the face, several hits by wooden or metal bars and even a hanging. No bruises, no cuts, no black eyes out, everyone has their teeth and their hair combed. No one limps for more than 5 seconds, except for Cruise and the very end. People do not recover from all that that fast and without medical help.
    Barry, they did have some scars around their necks, but yes, it's far fetched the way everything plays out, but it's a lot of fun to watch. Did I mention that Rebecca Ferguson is hot?
    David Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Barry, they did have some scars around their necks, but yes, it's far fetched the way everything plays out, but it's a lot of fun to watch. Did I mention that Rebecca Ferguson is hot?
    David:
    Do you have plans to review this movie in 4K?
    I want to purchase the movie in 4K if its video is as outstanding as the movie's entertainment value, as judged by you and Barry.
    Richard

Thanks for the review Barry. Will check it out.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by k0rww View Post
    David:
    Do you have plans to review this movie in 4K?
    I want to purchase the movie in 4K if its video is as outstanding as the movie's entertainment value, as judged by you and Barry.
    Absolutely. It's supposed to be out in November and since it's Paramount, I'll definitely get a copy to review.
    David Vaughn