Sony DMP-Z1 Digital Music Player

I was reading an unrelated story when a headline pops up that reads something like, "Sony's New $7900 Music Player has a Gold-plated Knob". That, I had to see.

The headline linked to a story on The Verge which describes the company's new digital music player, the DMP-Z1 which was just announced at the High-End AudioVisual Show in Hong Kong.

The DMP-Z1 is a curious-looking little box that leads one to wonder exactly what it does. The cosmetics are quite striking and it does indeed have a gold-plated knob and gold around the output jacks.

Name:  sony dmp-z1.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  34.9 KB

According to Sony, all that gold isn't just about the bling. They also use gold mixed into the solder and the pads used on the circuit boards. They state it "reduces contact resistance, giving a clearer audio quality. Gold plating also prevents oxidization and improves ground stability too".

Sony has also upgraded the internal wiring normally found in many audio products by using wire engineered by Kimber Kable and has also included an audiophile-grade headphone amplifier.

The DMP-Z1 supports all high-resolution music files including DSD native playback up to 11.2 MHz and PCM playback up to 384kHz/32-bit.

You can read more about the DMP-Z1 by visiting Sony's product page. https://www.sony.com.hk/en/electroni...30691371079843

A fool and their money parts ways. This is catering to the 1% who don't give a shit how much something costs.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I had to read the product page to see what exactly this thing does.

The confusing part for me is that Sony has this listed on their site under MP3 players, not in the High-resolution Audio section.

I am waiting for the diamond in the middle on the golden knob to show up..
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrippleJ View Post
    I am waiting for the diamond in the middle on the golden knob to show up..
    I'm sure it's a dealer option.

"reduces contact resistance, giving a clearer audio quality. Gold plating also prevents oxidization and improves ground stability too".

I was wondering why my gold teeth made chewing and grinding my food sound so good.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post
    "reduces contact resistance, giving a clearer audio quality. Gold plating also prevents oxidization and improves ground stability too".

I was wondering why my gold teeth made chewing and grinding my food sound so good.
    JR
    You, sir, have audiophile-grade dental work.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrich View Post

JR
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    You, sir, have audiophile-grade dental work.

That made me LOL.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine