Aretha Franklin the Queen of Soul has Passed

After many days of news coverage concerning her failing health, I just read that Aretha Franklin has passed.

Name:  Aretha-Franklin.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  88.4 KB

Just this morning, her publicist Gwendolyn Quinn told The Associated Press that Franklin passed at 9:50 this morning at her home in Detroit.

Her contributions to music reached far and wide and influenced more than just the Soul and R&B genres. She was born March 25, 1942, in Memphis, Tennessee. Being the daughter of a Baptist preacher, it is no surprise to read that her vocal talent was first discovered while singing in the church. After the family moved to Michigan, Aretha honed her gift at the New Bethel Baptist Church in Detroit and became part of a traveling gospel group headed by her father.

Aretha's father became her manager when she was 14 and together they released her first album, Songs of Faith in 1954. Although her music started off from her Gospel roots, it quickly crossed over into Soul, R&B, and even into the Pop categories.

I won't bore you with a long list of her hit songs because I'm sure you know what they are. However, one thing that did surprise me from reading a story on NBC News was that in 1987, she was the first woman to be inducted into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

What a career and one that I think will continue to inspire music for a long time to come. The Queen of Soul passed earlier today at age 76.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    As an interesting but sad sidenote, Elvis Presley "The King" passed on the same day in 1977.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    RIP to a very talented singer.

Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Apparently Robert Johnson also died on the 16th, in 1938.

Sad day for music all around.