1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

We Need To Talk About the LG 9000 Series

Name:  zoom02.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  71.2 KB

WAAAAAY back in 2012 I wrote an article, a mea culpa with respect to video calibration. In that article I talk about why video calibration is important (it still is) and why one cannot expect to receive a calibrated display direct from the factory. There have always been good displays -even great ones. There have been displays that get close or closer than most with respect to their out of the box performance, but none, not one display in my however many years of doing this job have EVER been within the margin of error across the board with respect to being "calibrated" out of the box.

Until now.

I am gobsmacked, but after two complete calibration sessions and full factory resets my review sample LG 9000 Series LED backlit LCD UltraHD display would appear that in its Technicolor, ISF Bright and ISF Dark all fall within the margin of error (Delta E of less than 3) to be considered calibrated. Of the three picture profiles, Technicolor is the most accurate. To be sure that this isn't some fluke I measured ALL of the picture profiles out of the box and all with the exception of the three before mentioned options were wildly different and wildly inaccurate.

Ideally I'd love to get my hands on a sample size of three to five LG9000 displays to see if they ALL produce same or similar results, but that isn't likely to happen. Nevertheless, it's still rather remarkable to think that for the first time in my career I've actually set a TV to a picture profile preset then put my gear away and just got on with the review process.

Oh, and the TV is cheap, like $1,600 for a 65" cheap. Under $1000 for 55".

Andrew, if this follows through with all the LG 9000 Series displays, as you mentioned, this is big news.

I assume a full review will soon be available on HomeTheaterReview.com. If so, I look forward to reading it.

Wow...that's amazing. I wonder if they calibrated it special before sending it out for review? I'd love to see how one performs that is sitting in a retail store. You may want to contact your local Best Buy/Magnolia and see if they would be willing to let you do a quick calibration check???
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Wow...that's amazing. I wonder if they calibrated it special before sending it out for review? I'd love to see how one performs that is sitting in a retail store. You may want to contact your local Best Buy/Magnolia and see if they would be willing to let you do a quick calibration check???
    I factory reset the TV to combat just that possibility and both times it measured the same. I'm not saying ALL 9000s will perform the same, but mine, even after factory resetting measured the same and within the margin of error. Amazing.

Very amazing!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine