The Eagles Now Have Top Selling Album

The King of Pop's Thriller has now been dethroned.

The Recording Industry Association of America has just reported that the top-selling album of all time is now from the Eagles. Released in 1976, Thriller has long been the album with the most total sales. The album which is certified at 33x platinum has now been moved to second place by the Eagles Greatest Hits 1971 - 1975.

Name:  Eagles GH.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  23.8 KB
    (my original copy on vinyl)

The Eagles album has now been certified 38x platinum which means that the album has been sold and streamed 38 million times since it was released in 1976.

You might wonder how these numbers are derived since physical album sales are at an all-time low and streaming is king. In 2013 the RIAA set the following guidelines for counting streaming services such as YouTube, Spotify, Tidal, and others.

Knowing that most people stream or download individual songs as opposed to whole albums, 1,500 streams of an album equal one album purchase and 10 song downloads equal one album purchase.

If you are wondering which album has the number three spot..........it's the Eagles Hotel California.

It's so hard to tell with Streaming being how sales are now decided. Does this mean Takes it Easy has been streamed more then Billie Jean? & if so which Eagles greatest hits is it from (it's on at least 2 Eagles best of's), or for that matter is it from the Eagles 1st album? While I really don't like MJ & I do like The Eagles, my point is that the system is broken (& in 2018 there is no accurate way to track sales anyway imo).
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1

I get your point about which album the streaming tracks are credited to. I don't know how that works unless both the original album and the greatest hits get credit. Maybe that's why it takes 1,500 streams of a single track to equal one album purchase.

I should have made the point on downloads. You're right, the 1500 would seem to be quite high, but the 10 downloads would seem to have the same issue I mentioned; with I-Tunes, Amazon, Google Play, etc focusing on singles downloads.
    Passive Preamp: Mod Squad Deluxe; Amp McCormack DNA-1 Mod 1; Hi Rez & blu-ray/DVD Front End: Oppo BDP-95 With Region Hack; CD front end: Esoteric P-10->Kimber/Illuminati Digital Cable-> PS Audio SL3; CD Recorder: Tascam 900SL; Cassette Deck: Nakamichi DR2; Speakers (2.0): NHT 2.5I; Analog Cable: Tara Analog Standard, Pandora & Omni Bi-Wired Speaker Cable; Various aftermarket power cords; Power Conditioner: Adcom, Televsion: Vizio E55-C1