Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I pay into a state retirement/pension fund so its pretty much set. The only thing that affects it is my rate of pay for my last 5 years of service. I've got 8 more years to go, then I'll call it a day.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector

Quote Originally Posted by prerich View Post
    I've got 8 more years to go, then I'll call it a day.
    What will you do with all your free time then? A good friend of mine who's really not much older than me says he's retiring in 18 months. I ask him that same question.

He says he will vastly increase his vegetable garden, buy a portable sawmill to build small cabins on their land for the kids/friends to visit, and brew his own beer. There are some ideas for you.

First, where do you live? Rents are going up because there's a massive housing shortage in many parts of the country because the government has so many rules and regulations on building that nothing is getting built. The business that I'm in with my day job is booming, labor rates are rising (due to immigration being lower, which was depressing wages in the construction industry), and contractors are booked for the months to come (which means their bids are higher because there is a big demand for their services). This is apparent across the 8 states that I manage in the West. While my taxes may go up this year, it will be because my income will be the highest I've ever earned, so I'm willing to pay more $$$ because I'm making a lot more $$$$$.

As Mueller closing in...you need to do more reading of other sources besides left-wing media. Hell, CNN is standing by the story that Trump knew about the meeting between his son and the Russian's (who were strangely affiliated with Fusion GPS), but CNN's source for the story (Lanny Davis) recanted his "proof" that Cohen was going to spill the beans. There was only one problem, it was a complete lie (just like the farce of the entire Russian collusion). Bruce Ohr testified to Congress yesterday behind closed doors and spilled the beans on the entire affair...that is where the real story is but the majority of the media is ignoring it because it doesn't fit their narrative. I suggest you read this article: https://saraacarter.com/breaking-day...tion-his-wife/

This is making Watergate look like child's play by comparison.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Bill Clinton paid Paula Jones $850,000. Donald Trump paid Stormy $130,000, proving once again, Trump is a better deal maker.

After over a year of zero evidence of Russian collution, Mueller has decided to continue his investigation for the simple reason that Trump wasn't supposed to win.

Exactly Jive. And Ohr's testimony to Congress confirmed that a conspiracy was going on at the DOJ and FBI. The question is how far and how high it goes up the food chain. Ohr is the witness that has ultimately decided he isn't going to be the fall guy and I bet he starts singing like a bird to avoid jail time.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I hope so Dave. I agree that Ohr's testimony is integral to a far greater conspiracy but with the media acting as opposition party, it will require some leaking of information that the news media, besides Fox, can't ignore. And of course there's an election that could seriously stop any Congressional investigations going forth (barring the Sessions/Huber/Inspector General's report) if that goes the wrong way. And then there's the Mueller investigation that will be trying to prove an obstruction charge. I'll say it again. Should be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    First, where do you live? Rents are going up because there's a massive housing shortage in many parts of the country because the government has so many rules and regulations on building that nothing is getting built. The business that I'm in with my day job is booming, labor rates are rising (due to immigration being lower, which was depressing wages in the construction industry), and contractors are booked for the months to come (which means their bids are higher because there is a big demand for their services). This is apparent across the 8 states that I manage in the West. While my taxes may go up this year, it will be because my income will be the highest I've ever earned, so I'm willing to pay more $$$ because I'm making a lot more $$$$$.

As Mueller closing in...you need to do more reading of other sources besides left-wing media. Hell, CNN is standing by the story that Trump knew about the meeting between his son and the Russian's (who were strangely affiliated with Fusion GPS), but CNN's source for the story (Lanny Davis) recanted his "proof" that Cohen was going to spill the beans. There was only one problem, it was a complete lie (just like the farce of the entire Russian collusion). Bruce Ohr testified to Congress yesterday behind closed doors and spilled the beans on the entire affair...that is where the real story is but the majority of the media is ignoring it because it doesn't fit their narrative. I suggest you read this article: https://saraacarter.com/breaking-day...tion-his-wife/

This is making Watergate look like child's play by comparison.
    NW Florida or as we say Lower Alabama. We have plenty of housing going up (they're restrictive - 55 and older), but we also have mass gentrification happening in our area. I know more than 15 people being kick out of their apartments...why, they're "renovating", and then telling the current tenants that they can stay if they pay a double security deposit and a new first and last months rent....as most can't afford it. I know a politician that's working to prevent this from happening (I know her personally), but I also know others personally that are looking at potential money (especially from military rentals from officers VHA/BAQ), that are fighting her. Hate to say it, but we're seeing the greed of business right before our eyes. Housing rates going up, and wages are unable to keep up with it. I'm blessed to be close to retirement and I'm not going to be one of those that hangs around for 40 years. I'm doing 30 and calling it a day. I'm fortunate enough to own land and a home (I pay less for my home and land than my car - I bought both under the former administration). So I'm in decent shape, but others around me are truly suffering. I guess it depends on where you live and what you do, but I have yet - since the late 80's see anything trickle down to the "middle class".

There is a shortage of skilled labor in our area, however most of that skilled labor left the area because they don't pay enough here. Most go to North Dakota or Wyoming for 4 to 6 months at a time and work in the oil industry up there, and come back for about a month. Maybe that will force wages up...I don't know.

As far as Mueller is concerned - I don't get all of my information from "left wing" media. I'm a former intelligence agency worker/service member with TS/SCI clearance....and I always say this - there are three sides to every story - yours, theirs, and the truth. When a President goes against his own security agencies and praises not just an enemy - but now enemies - I take issue with that. Our POTUS looks at everything in terms of $$$$$, and that's what our enemies are banking on (pun not intended). I want Mueller to continue his investigation and get to the bottom of this - regardless of time. The mid-terms will give a clear indication if POTUS will be a 1 on 1 off President. I'm not worried about impeachment or the 25th for that matter. The same way he was vote in - he can be voted out....and the missing demographic (minority men) that didn't vote - because the other candidate was a woman, or voted for Trump because the other candidate was a woman (I know many that did that - one in my own family, he regrets it now), they plan on showing up in 2020, I'm encouraging them to be involved in the mid-terms and local government that's where changes start.
    Infinity Composition Prelude P-FR L/R, Infinity Overture 1 center, Front hgts, and side surrounds, Infinity FPS-1000 Rear surround and rear hgt, Acoustic Elegance P1152 subs (x2) SVS 16-46 (x2), (x2) B&K Reference 200.7 power amp, Denon AVR X4300H, Yamaha MX-830, Behringer NU4-6000, 8 core HTPC W/Blu-ray W/Jriver nVidia 1060gtx 6gb,Hybrid tube DAC W/Burson Vivid, Silicondust HDHR3 Prime, TCL 4K 55 inch LCD, Vivitek HK2288 4K Projector

Mueller, I believe is getting ready for what we call a "product report" in the business. There are a lot of things that are hidden - that the public, nor the press knows. Mueller is making sure its iron clad, turning the screws you might say. I know of investigations that have gone on longer than this (I've worked in intelligence and law enforcement), patience generally yields the best fruit. That's why we have so many incarcerated that are being exonerated - because of the desire for quick closure - no patience, messy investigation, etc. POTUS should be happy that the investigation is being so thorough, to make sure he's innocent.

I have plenty of hobbies to keep me busy. I direct church choirs, I give motivational speeches, I also do IT work on the side (I help people build audio/video servers - play around with building DAC's, PI based systems). I'm also very active in the community as well. I'll stay very busy indeed.

Living in Florida, particularly on the Gulf side, puts you in a whole different world than most of the country.

To me, the Gulf side is much more desirable due to the beaches being cleaner and fewer issues with jellyfish. People are flocking to the state to retire and vacation so it doesn't surprise me one bit to read what you are saying about the local housing market.

I don't really think this is an issue most of the rest of the country with the exception of around major cities for those who want to live in town.