2001:.A non-non spoiler review

2001: a non-non spoiler review

Hey, itís been 50 years and if you need a non-spoiler review at this point skip this post.

For the second time in my life I have seen 2001 on a big screen in surroundsound. The first time was 50 years ago at the zig field theater in New York. Iíve probably seen it 20 times cents.

And one of the most strangest experience of my life I saw the movie today in an IMAX theater, with a big screen and one more feature.

I was the only person in the movie theater. It was completely empty today at 3 oíclock.

This is still an overwhelmingly spectacular movie. The pacing was slow and deliberate when it first came out which makes it even a bit slower these days. The movie itself, cinematically and audio wise is very close to todayís movies. In the beginning sequence, dawn of man, some of the colors look a tad washed out. Every once in a while that seemed to be the case in the movie. But it was not that much. The sound was very surround more so than many movies today. I did notice when the music got loud there was more distortion then we are are used to today.

The movie begins with an overture and ends with a musical prologue, both in the dark. There is also an 18 minute intermission. I really did appreciate this because I got to go to the bathroom.

The movie holds up although product placement makes you smile. The spacecraft from the earth To the moon is by Pan Am; The Bell System is the phone company; And the restaurant is Howard Johnsonís. Well, some of us made it to 2001 and some of us didnít.

At the very end I saw myself. Keir Dullea as a young man looks over and sees himself as an older man. I first saw this movie As a young man and now I see myself as the old one.

Movies like they should not just be remembered on Blu-ray discs but they should be regularly celebrated in the theater and it was.

Hal did remind me of Alexa. And the star child at the end, well, Iím convinced he had a cell phone.
    Name:  ABF1E16E-2304-4002-AB0C-3C6B777376ED.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  5.4 KB

Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    2001: a non-non spoiler review
    At the very end I saw myself. Keir Dullea as a young man looks over and sees himself as an older man. I first saw this movie As a young man and now I see myself as the old one.

Next stop: Star-Child.
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Barry,

You got it all wrong. You went to see the movie as a young man and when it ended, you were an old man! The movie is too long and boring
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

David, unless we have a. Lot of people beating each up but not leaving any bruises, Or a lot of people chasing each other, or a lot of monsters coming to earth and destroying New York City or Tokoyo again, Or railroad train crashing into an old Western town You are not going to like it.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc