Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Actually I do need some suggestions. So besides the receiver upgrade, which I would need to take advantage of what I now need suggestions for, I was talking about how to wire my surrounds with my wife on Friday before I actually installed everything. Previously I had the wires running out the left side of the nook/cubby hole and down the left wall right in front of the sliding door. This time I ran it out the right side and taped it down under the large rug and moved a smaller rug over the front where the sub is (we need to get a longer rug to make it look nicer now).

One of our neighbors with the same floorplan is running some wireless speakers in the rear (pretty sure it's nothing high end, but I don't know what they have). I mentioned to her we could do the same by getting something like the wireless transceivers that SVS has (they're full range not just sub frequencies to my understanding). However I'd need a 2 channel amp then back there by the couch somewhere and I have no idea what to get or where to put it or if it's even worth it.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Listened to the opera scene from 5th Element from the remastered blu-ray (2007 era) that includes the LPCM track and apparently fixed video over the original blu-ray release. Wow!!! It was amazing even without "fake Atmos" processing since the receiver wouldn't apply it to an LPCM track. The mixing on that track it was still very enveloping and you'd almost swear things were coming out of the height speakers. Towards the end of that scene when Zorg asks for docking permission on the flying hotel a confirmation comes out of the right rear loud and clear. Instantly made me glad I went with matched surrounds since some people on other forums were trying to steer me towards smaller stuff for the rear. I think I'm going to have to upgrade to the 4K special edition that just came out last year though. It adds a 7.1 Atmos track.
    Last edited by cpaluda; 09-06-2018 at 01:21 AM.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Watched about 2/3's of the new Jurassic World tonight with the DTS:X track. Lots of heavy bass. Heard a few rattles a couple times. Looks like I'm going to order the SVS Soundpath isolation feet for the sub and see if I can fix that. Going to see about getting one of the foam pad products for the L/R mains. Wanted to do something for the center but I think I'm out of luck there. I built the cavity for it at 8" high and the speaker is 7.1" high and I have it angled up on a couple of 3/16th's shims which is leaving like 1/4 inch between the top of the speaker and bottom of the wood panel above it due to the angle I created. Maybe that's already creating enough isolation for the center though.

A good LFE heavy action film makes all sorts of things rattle in my room. Some of them I have fixed, others are still there. I have learned to live with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    A good LFE heavy action film makes all sorts of things rattle in my room. Some of them I have fixed, others are still there. I have learned to live with them.
    Yeah I just notice a bit of boominess and I don't know if it's for example the Jurassic World soundtrack or the sub position and having to be in the TV stand. If it's the latter the isolation feet should help with that supposedly. On a side note just re-ran Audyssey one last time for a while now that I've got another 2 weeks on top of the speakers with lots of use. Not planning any more audyssey runs until I get a new receiver which is probably a few months away. I'll probably wait until black friday sales to see if the SR6013 drops in price. That's how we got the NR1606 for about 500 vs 700+.

Tried to re-configure things a bit last night. I usually run the VT60 in "THX Cinema" mode because it was reviewed as the most accurate out of the box if you can't calibrate. Problem is it grays out the "pixel orbiter" function and as far as I'm aware disables it. I decided I wanted to be able to run the normal Cinema preset so I could enable the orbiter for all my content except my disc player so I can help mitigate channel logos/etc. when possible.

Since my X800 player has dual output this seemed really easy. Run the audio only HDMI output to the receiver, and run the video output to another input on my TV. Turns out it wasn't so easy. Well it was sort of. It worked fine for discs. It completely broke Atmos capability for the Prime Video app. Yes the only thing on there right now that even supports it is Jack Ryan but no matter what I did I couldn't get the receiver to show "Atmos" on DD+ + DS i.e "fake Atmos".

So I swapped everything back to the original config. I guess until I figure out if I did something wrong/etc. I'll just take the extra step of changing the picture mode from Cinema to THX Cinema when I'm going to play a disc. It's close enough I "could" just leave it but comparing the two there's gamma and possible slight color difference. The differences are very small but you can see them when swapping modes and looking at the right areas of the picture. Even the blue of the UI for the TV is slightly darker/richer in the THX mode.

Demo'd a Marantz 1509 vs the SR6013 at Best Buy the other day with the Martin Logan Motion 15 bookshelf speakers since they're a similar design/sound to the Chane stuff. I had them run both at the same volume just to see if there was an audible difference in ability to drive or loudness of the speakers with the 6013 having double the power. Of course since the volume is calibrated to reference there's no volume difference. The biggest thing I noticed is that the 6013 was noticeably cleaner/less noisy sounding but who knows how much of that is the wiring/switching gear in their Magnolia demo room. I also listened briefly to the competing Denon X4500H for comparison. It was noticeably brighter to me. I think I definitely prefer the Marantz sound on first listen. I need to look at what else is in that price range and capabilities to make sure I'm not missing on anything. Just doing preliminary looking right now but wouldn't mind buying during a black friday sale or similar if there is one.

Oh, I also finally broke down and bought an actual mic stand with the adjustable arm/etc and a head for it overall cost about $35 to mount the Audyssey mic to since between the paper stand and rigging stuff for the on the couch positions I just didn't trust the accuracy of my calibrations. The stand definitely made some differences apparent.

I also realized I really need to get rid of the large piece of art on the wall behind the couch with the sheet of plexiglass on the front of it and get some sound absorbers with artwork on them to replace it and deal with some reflections. When I used the new stand to accurately get the mic at exact ear level for the first time ever, I got a phase warning from Audyssey for the right Atmos speaker. Likely it was bouncing off the artwork into the mic. I lowered it an inch and started over which got rid of the warning (which is skippable) and just ran it like that. I want to do some WAF friendly room treatments anyway, just need to learn about what to do etc.