Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Rainwater View Post
    People either don't know about ARC, love it because it works for them, or absolutely hate it for being a buggy mess. I'm happy to hear that you are part of the latter group.

I don't have a need for it in my system but like the concept.
    Well, I have now shut ARC back off. I think it was causing issues even though the control stuff was turned off. (my understanding is AppleTV doesn't play nice even though you tell it not to enable the CEC control parts) I would turn on everything and at least once per day AppleTV would have no sound and I'd go back to my DVR input and have a nice blue screen that sometimes I could fix by toggling the power button on the comcast DVR, and sometimes I'd just have to pull its power and plug it back in. Since I turned it off things seem to be behaving for the last day or so right now.

The other thing I turned on at the same time but don't think it was the cause is "Pure Direct" mode in the VT60 which enables 4:4:4 signals. As near as I can tell, the ATV, DVR, and 4k disc player all seem to be able to output 4:4:4 because the TV says the option will actually be grayed out if the incoming signal isn't capable of it. I may or may not re-enable it after a couple days of no problems but we'll see.

I'm thinking the ARC etc. options were the cause though because I think I had the blue display screen before I swapped the receiver out on Saturday and I hadn't turned on the Pure Direct option until after I swapped them but ARC was on. Anyway, lesson learned, if it's not broken don't fix it. I'm not going to bother connecting a Toslink back up, we just don't need the internal TV apps anymore anyway between the ones on the X800 and the AppleTV there's no reason and they haven't been updated in a couple years anyway.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Well, I got the blue screen again, but it seems to be an HDMI handshake issue, maybe Comcast messed up something in a recent update since it also started happening before I swapped out the receiver. Seems like just toggling the power button the DVR (standby vs on not actually off) fixes it or even just shutting the TV and receiver off and trying again. I think the ARC/CEC thing with AppleTV was responsible for losing sound in that though.

Also I just spent about 90 minutes playing with 2ch music via Spotify and lossless rips sent via Airplay2 to the new receiver. I have to say, wow I finally have a great music setup and am probably going to be listening a lot more in the living room. Radio stations through the Tuner I've decided will never sound decent in there (can't get a good clear signal).

I've decided that going with Denon and getting Auro3D and the Auro3D upmixer vs. the Marantz SR6013 which doesn't have that was actually a good choice. I was reading the it does a good job with 2ch music and yeah they weren't kidding. Dolby Surround and DTS:NeuralX were too in you face fake surround. Auro3D upmixer turned it into sounding like a concert without sounding fake. Bumped the sub channel about 4dB and it's perfect. Solid from the bass through the treble. Straight 2ch in "Pure" mode with no sub (which shuts off any crossover on the L/R making them "full range") sounds ok but is a bit boomy due to wall reinforcement so I probably won't use it much.

I was really impressed with the Chane 2.4's performance on their own like that though. I did actually have to check and make sure the sub was not playing when I first did it. Guess I chose well with MTM config for the main L/R instead of a satellite T/M style like I nearly did.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K