Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

My massive living room upgrade

Figured I'd start an actual system thread instead of adding stuff to a research thread in the speaker forum. I'll be adding pics and additional posts from various sources after this first one. Original system was some Velodyne Front Row satellites and center with their matching CT-80 8" sub and was about 15-17 years old (bought somewhere around 2001-2003). They still worked, but the satellites started sounding odd during some content, and a room correction after I finally got an HDMI capable receiver a couple years ago that also had Audyssey confirmed the tweeters had a serious lack of performance. Also the sub would go into protection mode during modern action movies running at around 10-15dB below reference. We're talking within minutes depending on the movie. That was actually what kicked off the search for new everything.

I did lots of research over what ended up being a couple of years now due to needing to come up with the money as well. Looked at different sub models and L/C/R/surround speakers. Everything from local big box stuff to many of the ID companies. I eventually settled on a plan to test center channel models in my house after realizing all the specs and reviews in the world weren't going to tell me if I liked them. I tested centers since 90% of my use is TV/movies and the center is used for a large part of that content. The velodynes were bought after listening in store, not knowing anything other than I didn't want a theater-in-a-box, and thinking they sounded fine. I really had no idea what I was getting back then. I didn't want to do that again.

I tested a B&W HTM62 S2 first. Didn't like it at all. Way too sibilant for me. It went back to the store 24 hours later. Next was an SVS Prime Center. I liked it, but it seemed bright. I ran it for a week though. Then, after reading a lot of good stuff I grabbed a Chane A2.4 which can be run L/C/R by rotating the tweeter. I ran that for a week as well. I wasn't sure about it initially but after about a week it really did break in (most of that was just letting it run while out of the room). The Audyssey correction graph actually changed noticeably after about 40 or so hours on it. In the end it won out over the SVS and I went with 3 of the Chane A2.4's for the front, 2 of the A1.4's for the surrounds, and a pair of SVS Elevations for the Atmos speakers.

For the sub, I ended up reading lots of reviews and coupled with price/size/performance specs decided to go with an SVS PB-2000. I went with an outlet model and saved something like $70 for a minor ding in an edge that will never be seen. Performance has been great so far and I have no thoughts to send it back and try something else.
    Last edited by cpaluda; 08-26-2018 at 10:21 PM.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Current setup

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    The sub in it's temporary location

Testing rig for the center channels. Cinder block with a foam pad and some shims to adjust angle. SVS prime shown.

The chane 2.4 unboxed.

The rest of the chane stuff sitting in my office waiting

The elevation from SVS

Now you're probably wondering why it's not all installed yet. Well, refer to the first pics. Also the subwoofer pic. Yeah that's a problem. Center can't fit the TV stand, would need new stands for the L/R, the sub won't fit but has to go up there in this house, etc. The solution? A custom built TV stand. My Dad has the tools and knowledge so we're building it together. Should be ready by labor day weekend.

Top piece just sitting on it for a photo op.

I may get the sound path isolation feet from SVS for the sub. It will sit in that large opening in the right side and have 2-3 inches space on each side and the top.

That new TV stand unit will pretty much take the entire width of that cubby hole. The SVS will be mounted at the top corners of it near the ceiling. I still have to figure out how I'm running the wire for that. Also I'll be using Monoprice Monolith 28" speaker stands for the rear surrounds. They should put the tweeters right about at ear level. I'll have more pics next weekend assuming I get to install everything. The real fun is about to really start. I also need to figure out what to do with the old speakers/etc. since they're not in the greatest shape any longer apparently. I may re-purpose the sub for a new 2.1 system for my PC (powered monitors + the sub) to replace a nearly equally old Yamaha theater in a box that I've been using for it. I need to get rid of using a receiver in my office to gain some room back on my desk.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the plan for the front L/R is they will sit on top of the TV stand on either side of the TV. The stand being 30" should also put them at just the right height. The center will use some sort of shim to angle it correctly. I might be getting some sort of foam pads for isolation for all 3 as needed.
    Last edited by cpaluda; 08-26-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Nice...can't wait to see the after pictures.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I agree with David. Very nice.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

This is exactly the type of thread that I love. I like seeing not only installing new speakers but build threads make me drool.

Nice progress; I know you've put in a lot of research and it's starting to pay off.

Yep I can't wait to finish it up. Not just so I can enjoy it, but so I can get back to sleeping in on the weekends. Between the TV stand and building a new desk for my office before that, I've been getting up early on the weekends for the last two months now since I decided to do this in the summer and you can only work until maybe 1pm before it gets too warm.

My next project to "finish off" the upgrade will be probably a new receiver in the next 12 months. I like the Marantz but it was kind of an impulse Black Friday purchase a couple years ago. We stopped in, took a look at stuff, and it was on sale for like 30-40% off or something and ended up grabbing it. It was still a huge upgrade over all vs the also 2001-2003 era Yamaha I had, but I'm thinking something with more power to cleanly drive everything at volume would be nice. The Marantz I have is only a 50W/channel type vs the usual 100 or so that most of the full size receivers come in at.

Also thinking of doing a 9.x for future capability and maybe getting it off of the site that sells refurb stuff. Can't remember the name now but I've seen it linked a lot in other forums. I don't have room for 9 channels in this house but I'm sure we'll be moving at some point in a few years so a space that's better for home theater will be on the list and having 4 Atmos channels would be much better.

I also wouldn't mind being able to run a projector for movies then, but at this point the next upgrade after the receiver would be an OLED or whatever is the best tech at the time when I have the money to replace the VT60 plasma with a 4K unit. The current receiver and UHD disc player support 4K so I pretty much just need to drop the TV in and go.