2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

My Guide to Stereo and the Home Theatre

A long time ago, in a stereo system, far, far away…

The worst thing about our systems, perhaps just my system, is that it has intimated friends and family. They are scared to touch them!!!!

About 1985, I wrote out instructions for my girlfriend. While saying she wasn’t interested in my system, she loved watching cablre (nerw to us at the time) and hearing it in stereo!

I have rally bad handwriting so when I got my first word processor I learned to use it by putting together a Guide to the Stereo that everyone could read and use. I updated it as time went by.

In 1996 I got my firs computer and learned and used Microsoft Word by making a new version.

In 2000 I did it learning PageMaker and the current one I did in In-Design.
    On this post see the first few pages of my first Word Processing Guide!

I put the current one in a PDF and if you want to see it, you can download it at:
    https://spaces.hightail.com/receive/rlJz7Tsbbn

Name:  Pages from 1st guide_Page_1.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  88.4 KB
    Name:  Pages from 1st guide_Page_2.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  91.0 KB
    Name:  Pages from 1st guide_Page_3.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  95.0 KB
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I remember you posting exerts from this guide a few years ago and am still impressed at the level of detail you go into with each component and function.

Luckily, we now have easily programmable multi-function remotes that can really help to "dummy down" the process.

Thanks for sharing Barry, great writeup on instructions for the technology challenged. lol..

Thankfully, there are "apps" now that can be setup and Alexia can be setup to turn on everything via voice among other things. lol.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

I also keep this for a very funny reason. I do forget model numbers which is why I have that page that tells me.

Let me tell you why I never bought Band W speakers. About 1990 I went to a stereophile show after I had bought my Mark Levinson equipment. I want to hear the speakers to go with the new system. When I got to the BAn booth, Before they would let me in they asked me what equipment I had. I told him I had on Mark Levinson doual mono amp and rheir preamp. He asked me what the model numbers were. I didn’t remember, because I never referred to them by their model numbers I just said amplifier and preamp. He asked me a couple of times and then would not let me in. I asked him why and he didn’t believe that I have the equipment. So,i,neber listen to or bought from them.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS66U; Screen: Vue Tech 108; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Well, that was B&W's loss as you clearly could have been a potential lifelong customer.

How often do you spin up that VPI?

It is less and less each year. Not just because records have to be turned over but I have so much on CDs now. But that record player is Probably 30 years old now and it does get some use. What does not get any use anymore is my Day Sequerra FM tuner, which I am thinking of selling. Well, that I would like to sell. They were no longer any stations that I listen to in my local market. None. I do use my Sonos and Internet radio to get in stations that I really enjoy. So while I would like the money I’d also like to think that There would would be Someone who would really enjoy using this. I just don’t turn it on at all and use Internet radio which sounds great going through my krell.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Outstanding Barry!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    This is awesome. I'd probably have to do something similar for my wife if we didn't have Harmony remotes for everything. She's actually pretty good with tech stuff, but I know she'd never remember how everything is configured and what's where like I do. (and having 5+ remotes bugged me to death anyway)
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Marantz NR-1606 | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Chromecast