Different receiver brand sound signatures?

Hey guys looking at a potential receiver upgrade already. I know the different brands have different sounds attributed to them but I can't really find a good list anywhere of what those are. The only thing I have experience with is my old Yamaha that I had since the early 2000's that seemed fine for movies but was bright and thin and not enjoyable at all for music and my slimline NR-1606 Marantz that from my understanding after I bought is considered more "musical" and I've definitely enjoyed what seems like a warmer sound for music while keeping movies sounding good. I'm just wondering what other sounds are present out there in say modern Yamah, Pioneer, Denon, and whatever other brands/models I might find out there in the 1000-1500 range for a 7.2 to 9.2 receiver.

We bought the Marantz on impulse a couple years ago during a Black Friday sale at Best Buy and while I like it just curious what else is out there that I might be missing. The main reason I'm looking to upgrade is more power than the 50W slim series has to push my new speakers cleanly and also my parents also still have an early 2000's yamaha similar to my old one, and I'd like to gift them my 1606 to bring them into the modern age.

We were going to buy them a chromecast so we could share our CBS account for Star Trek with them and realized while their TV is HDMI, the receiver has like only a couple optical inputs for sound and I don't think routing sound out of the TV (assuming enough inputs on the receiver) is going to give good sound if we plug a chromecast into it directly. Since I'd been kind of thinking about upgrading to a more powerful receiver in the next year this seemed like the icing on the cake and surprisingly it was my wife that suggested upgrading and giving the old one to them.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

I'm not sure about current pricing but for a more musical sound, it's hard to beat Anthem.

I have found my Anthem pre/pro to be one of the few in its price range that doesn't suck the soul out of music.

ouch, just looked. Prices are a little more than I'm looking to spend right now but I guess it depends on when I actually buy as well. The MRX 720 seems similar to the Marantz 7013 in that it's 11 channels, although it only has internal amps for 7, but the same price range. The 1120 is 11 channels inside, but also $1000 more. I was looking at the Marantz 6013 which is 1-2K less than either of those Anthem models and the 7013. It has 9 channels amped inside plus 11.2 pre-outs and can decode the 10th & 11th channel for exterior amplification.
    Panasonic 60" VT60 | Denon AVR-X4500H | Sony UBP-X800 | Chane A2.4 L/C/R | Chane A1.4 SR | SVS Elevation Atmos/height | SVS PB-2000 | Logitech Harmony 950 | Comcast "X1 platform" Arris DVR | Apple TV 4K

Since you are only browsing now, take a look at Outlaw audio for bargains.
    JR

Thanks will do. What is their sound like?

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cpaluda View Post
    Thanks will do. What is their sound like?
    Outlaw Audio doesn't have a home theater receiver. They sell a pre/pro and have highly regarded power amps.

They are a Marantz dealer and many times have good pricing on various Marantz products.

I'm not a believer of signature sound, ie, different manufacturers having different sound PROVIDED no room correction facilities are employed. I do believe that different room correction facilities will make the outcome different. I also believe that the AVRs will start sounding different once pushed beyond their designed power limit. I have three high end Yamaha AVRs and all my friends tell me how great they sound in either 2 channel or Home Theater mode. No thinness encountered here.
    Last edited by 3dbinCanada; 09-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.
    Main/2nd/3rd System
    AVR Yamaha RX-V1800/RX-V1900/RX-V1500
    Turntable ProJect Xpression III with Ortofon Red
    Cassette Deck Yamaha KX-800U/
    KX-800U/KX-630
    BluRay Yamaha BD-S681/Sony UBP-X800
    Media Player Iomega + 1TB internal drive/WD TV Live Plus + 3TB USB drive
    Display Samsung UN65KU6491 65"/UN55MU7000 55"
    Speakers Front:PSB Image T-45/400/Alphas,Center:PSB Image 8C/200C,Surrounds:PSB Image 1B/RBH A600
    Subwoofer Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 5/Energy XL-S8