Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I make jokes about it myself. But in reality most of the hi5 stores around here have failed.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

My brother and I had dealt with Leonard’s radio for nearly 20 years before they went out of business about 1983. With CDs making great demands on my system I replaced my Sansui receiver with an Dynaco Preamp, PAT5 and amp. But now I wanted to step from my Advent speakers.

A new store opened up on Queens Boulevard just a few blocks from my house. I went in to buy speakers. The sales person asked me what I had and then where I got them. He said that I was very stupid buying stereo equipment from the store That was closing. I said they gave me a good price. He repeated himself and said I was stupid for buying it.

I walked right out of the store!

A year later that store had closed and 25 miles away I accompany my friend when he went t audio exchange to buy speakers. To my surprise I was greeted by that same sales person. I asked for a different one, Much to his chagrin
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefisc View Post
    To my surprise I was greeted by that same sales person. I asked for a different one, Much to his chagrin
    Good for you. I am still shocked to hear your AV War Stories. That attitude would never fly down here.

For years, I had "my guy" at HiFi Buys in the Atlanta area. He really went out of his way to answer my questions and give me plenty of hands-on time with any gear that I wanted. After a few visits, he had a pretty good idea of what I was looking for and he would call (long distance) to let me know of anything new that came in that I might be interested in. As a result, I followed him to another store after that location closed and bought a good bit of equipment from him over the years.

He (John) helped me build my first surround system back in the Dark Ages of home theater.

This to me is one of the funniest and silliest stories. It was about 1988 and I saw an ad at a local store for a Lynn turntable. The sale price was $150. I went to the store. They asked me to sit down and took out the receipt book, Asked me for my name and address and then said that I’ll be $1900.

Surprised I got up and I said that I saw it the newspaper for $1500. They said sit down, and I did. They told me was a great turntable and that I’ll be very happy with it and it was $1900. I got up and said that you advertised it for $1500. They said we’ll work it out sit down

They said this is a Lynn turntable, its the best and its $1900 I got up to leave. They asked me to stay and said they had sold all the $1500 units and asked me to sit down as they took out their receipt book. I didn’t and said every time I sit down the price goes up $400!

I left and bought our VPI 19 Mark III which I soon updated to the Mark IV. I’ve had that for 30 years.

Another time I went to hear what would have been my first surround speakers at another store. Before I bought I asked to hear it. The salesman said, “its a Fosgate” And did not turn them on. I said I can’t buy them unless I hear them. He said, “these are Fosgates” OK just let me hear them. He said why do you want to hear them it’s a Fosgate. Let me tell you that the speakers were not to be put flat against the wall. They were on a triangle with one side going on the wall and the two other sides had a pair the speakers on them. I have no idea how it would sound. And the cost $1,900 in 1988. But every time I asked to hear them, and they were set up, the sales guy just kept saying “These are Fosgates.” When he went to get me a pair, although I never said I would buy them, I left.

Ironically, the company went out of business or was sold and I was able to get a pair, a couple years later from a different dealer, for $200. I never particularly liked them, but they were fosgates.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp

Seriously, Barry, they are Fosgates.

I am very happy that most of the insane AV salespeople are up north.

ROFL Barry.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine