Adrift (Blu-ray) review

Name:  adrift.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  21.1 KB

Plot
    As the two sailors set out on a journey across the ocean, Tami Oldham (Woodley) and Richard Sharp (Claflin) couldn't anticipate they would be sailing directly into one of the most catastrophic hurricanes in recorded history. In the aftermath of the storm, Tami awakens to find Richard badly injured and their boat in ruins. With no hope for rescue, Tami must find the strength and determination to save herself and the only man she has ever loved.

My Thoughts
    I generally like “true life” stories so when the press release hit my inbox I thought I’d give this one a go for the story as well as the past work of the stars. The narrative jumps back and forth from the storm’s aftermath to how Tami and Richard met and fell in love. She’s a free spirit travelling around the world in 1983 when she happens to meet Richard when he sails into Tahiti.

At only one hour and thirty-six minutes, the film still drags on a few occasions, which isn’t a good thing for such a short movie. Thankfully, the writer and director didn’t try to bog the film down with too much baggage and the story has some emotional heft and although you know that someone survives the ordeal—how else would the book have been written? —you don’t know the story until close to the end of the film.

Video 4.5/5 (AVC)

Audio 4/5 (DTS-MA 5.1)

Special Features:

• Deleted Scenes
    • Survival at Sea
    • Braving the Elements
    • Journey
    • Trailers
    • Feature Commentary
    • Blu-ray + UV Digital Copy

Conclusion
    As survival films go, this one has a decent story and the stars are very likable. Woodley is in virtually every scene and the young lady has enough screen presence to pull off the part, although once you’ve seen it once I’m not sure there’s much replay value unless you’re a big fan of one of the two stars. It’s definitely worth a rental so if you see it in the local Redbox, be sure to check it out.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Thanks for the review. I will check it out once available on amazon prime/netflix.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.