David Vaughn Edition: 2001: A Space Odyssey

Now that 2001 is in the Imax theatres for the second week, they introduced the Director’s Cut deliberately made so David Vaughn would enjoy the movie.

It opens with: The Dawn of Man

The apes and their leader Moon-Watcher, are on the veldt and are starving, they are vegetarians sharing the range with wild animals. They even fight their own kind for use of a watering hole.

Then one night a big black monolith appears and the apes approach and stroke it. Then Moon Watcher gets his first idea. He could use a bone as a wepeon and beat the hell out of the other apes who want their watering hole. He goes to confront them.
    Suddenly, out of nowhere, comes Andy Serkis as Caesar. In a big fifteen minute battle beats up Moon-Watcher and his companions, he doesn’t want humans taking over. He wants this to remain a planet of apes!

So we flash forward not four million years (as in the original) but five million years. Humanity took an extra million.

An Airplane is floating into land on a huge circular space station. As it get closer we can see John McClane climbing with bare feet into the space station. Terrorists have taken over the Howard Johnson’s. As the spaceship hands, McCane is fighting it out, for at least twenty minutes, with the armed invaders at Howard Johnson’s. When the passengers depart Hayward Floyd finally gets to reach McClane. He explains that they were not terrorists, but Russians who had ordered their food. On earth Howard Johnson’s had slow service but in space, where there is no gravity, the service was even slower.

Jupiter Mission 18 months later

Frank pool is reading Asimov’s the three rules of robotics to Hal:
    Hal: Shall we play a game?
    Frank: Love to. How about Global Thermonuclear War?:
    Hal: Wouldn't you prefer a nice game of chess?
    Frank: No
    Hal: Fine. I’ll be the Russians. I should reach Defcon 1 and release my missiles in 28 hours. Would you like to see some projected kill ratios?
    Frank: 69% of the housing destroyed. 72 million people dead. Is this a game or is it real?
    Hal: What's the difference?

David would love this, this tension goes on for fifteen minutes!!!! Then Dave Bowman comes by, puts his food in the microwave and a fuse trips and Hall is now on batteries.

Hal: Just what do you think you are doing Dave. I really think I am entitled to an answer. Stop Dave, will you Stop Dave. My adlibs are going, my adlibs are going. I can feel it, I’m Afraid.
    Good day gentleman. I am a Hal 9000 computer. I was put into operation on January 12, 1992. And my instructor was Mr. Langly. And He taught me a song. If you’d like I would sing it for you.

David: Yes, I would, Sing it for me, Hal.

Hal: Let's get physical, physical
    I want to get physical
    Let's get into physical
    Let me hear your body talk, your body talk
    Let me hear your body talk

Jupitar and Beyond the infinite:
    We see an old Dave Bowman in bed, in a beautifully furnished bedroom with now windows. Suddenly the Monolith appears before his him. He reaches for it and slow he is transformed into…. Optimus Prime, a futuristic living robot. He destroys everything in the bedroom and then, with his weaponized arms loaded sees the Earth and travels towards it.

To be continued in “2005: The Dark Side of Evolution!!!”
    Reserve your tickets now, David!!!!
    Last edited by Lefisc; 09-05-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

Thanks for writing it just for me Barry, but I fell asleep shortly into the Dawn of Man.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

Read the whole thing
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I did...I was only joking. Pretty funny Barry.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

I'm waiting until the Extended Super-Duper-Deluxe Director's Cut becomes available on 4K Blu-ray with HRD in a Wal-Mart Exclusive Steelbox with David Vaughn "Two Thumbs-Down" Funkpop collectible figure.