Burt Reynolds (The Bandit) Has Passed

I just heard the news that actor Burt Reynolds has passed.

The year was 1977 when I went to a drive-in theater for the very first time. Prior to this, I can't remember seeing a movie in the theater. The pre-teen me had no idea what that Summer night in rural Louden, Tennessee would hold. We were visiting my grandparents and my Dad wanted to take the family out for a movie.

Name:  BANDIT.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  19.3 KB

I had not heard of Smoky and the Bandit since I spent much of my time outside riding my bike with friends. However, that film with Burt driving that supped-up Trans Am lit my fire for movies. Sally Fields certainly didn't hurt.

One thing that can be said for Reynolds is that most of his films were a lot of fun to watch. The Bandit starred in two additional films. After this Burt's roles in Stroker Ace, The Man Who Loved Women, Cannonball Run I & II, Deliverance, The Longest Yard, and Boogie Nights and others show that he was in the business for a good time.

I say this because he is quoted as writing in his 2015 memoir, "I didn't open myself to new writers or risky parts because I wasn't interested in challenging myself as an actor. I was interested in having a good time". It certainly looked like he was having fun no matter what part he played.

The Internet Movie Database has the entire list of Reynold's acting accomplishments. Check it out. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000608/?ref_=tt_cl_t1

Burt passed earlier today. He was 82.

Definitely a movie star and he loved the ladies. I bet he had A LOT of good times!
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

RIP to a very talented actor.
    Main:
    Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103 Blu Ray Player, Sony PS4 Gaming Console, Panamax MR-5100 Surge Protection, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Subs. Pictures here.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vaughn View Post
    Definitely a movie star and he loved the ladies. I bet he had A LOT of good times!
    No doubt he did.

To be honest, I found his movies and careerrs uneven. In the beginning, for every good movie he made, I thought he made a stinker. There were too many Cannonball Runs and rhier sequels.

As his career matured, his roles didn’t. But I loved Semi Tough among others.

for his own opinion on his career, see his almost bio in The Last Movie Star.
    Last edited by Lefisc; 09-07-2018 at 01:29 PM.
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

He was great in Boogie Nights, but I think he was more interested in getting laid than making good films.
    David Vaughn
    Technical Writer/Blu-ray Reviewer
    Sound and Vision Magazine

With Heather Graham In the movie I would feel the same way
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp
    : Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 205; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Revel W990/Krell S1500 amp; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable: VPI 19 Mk 4 w/Tonearm SME 309 & Audioquest 401i; HDTV: Verizon; Projector: JVC DLA-RS 3000; Screen: Stewart Studio Tek 100; Internet Radio: Sonos; Remote: MX850; Pioneer Elite LDS-2 Laser Disc

I never said his roles were award-winning or most of the movies he was in for that matter. He did what he did best........."show off" (< from Smoky & the Bandit).

Most of his films I would put into the Summer feel-good genre. Maybe a bit like The Lone Ranger.

R.I.P. for sure, though I agree with Barry. Burt being in a film was not a hallmark of quality. Can't blame the guy for having fun, and putting career 2nd, and it sure seems like he did.

One odd thing that has popped up in the wake of his death was the fact that he "hated" working on Boogie Nights, never saw it, and fired the agent who got it for him.

Pretty strange, since most agree it's his best performance.

He was amazing in Deliverance, and since I went back and watched that well after I had seen other films of his, most which I thought were cheesy and silly (Cannonball, Smokey, Hooper, ummmmm, Cop and a Half etc.) I was surprised by the rawness of his portrayal. He definitely did not seem like some big movie star, he really felt natural into the role. (And no mustache probably helped.)
    Follow me on twitter and get free tales of horror, comedy and everything in between.

Brandon, i agree. He would establish himself in a great role and then it would all get cheesy
    Barry
    Surround Pre-Amp